Deer Hunting Forums banner

Looking to start (another) argument!

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  jkm97 
#1 ·
I've watched discussions on DHC about the different bullet grains best suited for different game. Having said that . . .

For a .270, which is the better bullet for whitetail deer, the 130, 140, or 150 grain bullet???

I've used 130 and 150 grain Core-Lokt's over the past few years. The 130 grains seem to do "okay", doing a complete pass through when taking out the vitals.

So does the 150 grain, but it seems to do a better job (meaning I have to chase them less) than the 130 grain.

I realize that the 130 grain (due to less weight) is traveling significantly faster than the 150 grain, but the 150 grain (also due to weight) seems to have more energy upon impact from what I've seen this season.

Okay fellas, let's have your opinions. . . . .:wallbash:

RR

#2 ·
140 gr Swift A-frames in Remington premium ammo because I don't re-load. I have 130, 140, 150's but for serious hunting like elk I selected the 140 swifts. Some might say the 270 is light for elk and I can agree to some extent but at the time I had a 30-06 Rem 760 and 270 Rem Mountain rifle and took the lighter one to carry in Colorado. My buddies now carry 338 win! I didn't feel under gunned at the time.

#5 ·
Seeing as you guys wanna argue why would i hunt with a 270 when i have a 30/06:w00t:.Seriously tho my buddy shoots the 270 with the 130s but i would favor the 150s. I have seen the 130s blow up like hand grenades if they hit bone.It leaves a hole the size of a softball(total mess) and think the 150s would retain their weight a little better.I shoot 165 outta the 30/06.

#6 ·
Good one spiker, lol and I agree with gfdeputy2, I use the 130 grain bullets because my Ruger loves them
but if a hunter finds better hunting results from the 150's (cleaner, faster kills) I would just encourage them
to stick with the ones that work best for them.

#7 ·
I have killed quite a few with a .270 using all three weights listed. I probably prefer the 140s assuming my gun likes them, but in all honesty I never saw any real world difference as far as terminal performance on a deer go. For elk I would certainly use the 150s.

#8 ·
I also have shot 130, 140, 150 grn bullets. My rifles shoot the them all pretty well, but the 130 grn group alittle tighter. I used to deer hunt with 150 grn but the damage was unbelievable. lost too much meat for my liking. switched to 130 and not as much damage. But i also will take neck shots when they give it to me.. no tracking involved.

#11 ·
Isn't the old 270 rule- 130gr for Deer, 150gr for Elk

I don't own a 270 or shoot one on TV but isn't that an old rule for a reason? It does seem to make sense, 130gr for Deer, 150gr for Elk. That can be compared to the 30-06 rule of 150/165gr for Deer, 180gr for Elk. I guess the most important thing is does your rifle shoot the particular bullet weight well? Also the non lead bullets will be lighter for a given length. A 130gr Triple shock will be as long as a much heavier bullet with a lead core. I do not use the 150gr Nosler Bt in my 30-06 for Deer prefering the 165gr. If I was using the Triple Shock non lead bullet from Barnes my weight of choice for the 30-06 would be 150gr.

Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.