Deer Hunting Forums banner

Deer season success

6K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Win73 
#1 ·
My boy and I ended the season with 2 deer kills. My boy got to shoot a 3 pt buck during the early youth season here in MO. I had a really good season. I seen alot of deer and passed a few that I wish I would have shot now. lol I ended up shooting the first deer to come by during muzzleload season. I shot and killed a 4 pt buck on the opening day of muzzleload season. I enjoyed the woods and had great time, Can't wait til next season! How did everyone else do this season??

#2 ·
I got 3 deer this year... one doe and 2 buttons. Overall it was a good year, but with having a new baby at home, I didn't hunt as much as I would've liked to. I think I only took advantage of one hunt during the antlerless-portion we have here in MO. Did make a close shot on a buck,,, but missed him as he walked from a bottom peice of land into the backside of a hill. NO blood, but he was a nice 8... probably a 3 1/2 year old.
Congrats on your season

#3 ·
For me, it was a tremendous season but not because of deer killed. I have been quite sick for three years. Last year I hunted 30 minutes. This year, through a good team of doctors and hard work, I was able to hit the woods for over 35-hours. I killed two bucks and seven does, four with a bow, one with a muzzleloader and four with a rifle. I am almost back to my usual self. Just being in the woods was tremendous. When I killed a deer 45-minutes into our bow season I called my wife from the stand and told her. I was that moved.

#5 ·
I got my first deer ever (a doe) half hour into the opening day of muzzleloader season. I learned to shoot a bow and shot a nice 8 pt. We didn't find him eventhough we had extra people help look. Took our youngest daughter hinting with us and she thought it was pretty cool to hang outwith mom n dad. Took our boy with us to walk the last weekend of doe season and got to watch him get all worked up when a buck stood 30 yards in front of us. Wish we would have got more deer cause the freezers empty, but got some good memories that will last a lifetime.

#6 ·
Can't say that we had scribe's success here, but we're a lot better off than Kansas.

Had every hunter's dream happen on opening day - bagging a trophy (for Texas) 8 point - and I was in my blind less than an hour. My son bagged a spike during the extended season. Total for us was four - two bucks, one spike, one doe.

That's not bad for having 15 acres on which to hunt and only one lane to safely shoot. Too many neighbors have moved in over the past 10+ years taking away every place else.

RR

#8 ·
Tator
I failed to memtion that I too shot at and missed a nice 8pt. I had pics of him on trail camera and got a shot at him on opening day of gun season and just flat out missed. He had small crab claws on his G2"s. He should be real nice next season if he makes it through.

#9 ·
I got 3 this year on my property. 8pt, spike and a doe. The 8pt and doe were within 10 seconds of each other. I shot the 8pt and turned left to check the other lane and a doe was staring at me "like a deer in the headlights", I had to take her down.

On another note, the BC guys got a good amount this year. Everything from Deer to Eland. It was a good year for everyone.

#15 ·
I didnt get to go as much this season as usual. We discovered our daughter has an incurable (but manageable) blood disease in the summer. She is still too young to go out in the stand with me, but she was MORE excited than me with the 3 does i brought home this year. She allowed me to really understand how precious things are in life, a true gift, and that was why my season was a success. Its always been about how i relaxe in the deer woods, now its about how her eyes light up every time daddy brings one home. I cant wait until she can come with :)

#17 ·
I think any year that you are able to get out there and even experience ONE hunt is a good year! I'm already anxious for 2012 deer season! But first... got a buddy who is a champion turkey caller and he also LOVES calling in turkeys for other people and videoing it for them. If all works out well, he's going to come down to my place and video/call in some MISSOURI toms for me and hopefully we get good enough footage that I'll post it on here! That's my hope! Right now I have over 50 hens on the property and at least 5-10 toms and probably just as many jakes

#22 ·
Ya, there's a small cherry orchard about two blocks away from us by the railroad tracks where there have been deer eating the leaves off of the trees. Our main street in town has a bridge that goes over the top of the tracks so we don't have to wait on the trains. Opening weekend of rifle season a small doe must have gotten spooked when she left the cherry orchard and jumped right off the top of the bridge breaking both her front legs. The city workers found her, cop had to shoot her, and we got a free deer. Crazy!

#23 ·
My boy and I ended the season with 2 deer kills. My boy got to shoot a 3 pt buck during the early youth season here in MO. I had a really good season. I seen alot of deer and passed a few that I wish I would have shot now. lol I ended up shooting the first deer to come by during muzzleload season. I shot and killed a 4 pt buck on the opening day of muzzleload season. I enjoyed the woods and had great time, Can't wait til next season! How did everyone else do this season??
Semohunter, what part of Semo? I spent the first 18 years of my life in Semo. Bollinger County to be exact, about 30 miles west of Cape Girardeau. Still own some land there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.