Deer Hunting Forums banner

Less is More

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
My whole life up untill a year ago i wanted to buy up as many guns as i could. but at the same time i never bought a gun over $500, or a scope over $200. last year my mentality started to switch. i wanted to buy a few High end guns, not just the ones i could aford. now iv realy been looking at reducing the amount of guns i own, selling off a few low to mid range guns to use the $$$ to buy one realy nice gun. When looking into these new guns the $$$ amount wont bother me as long as that high dollar gun is that much better than the cheeper guns. Am i the only one who has less desire to own many guns, and more desire to own high end guns? or have you guys felt the same change as you got older, more mature?

#3 ·
I've never really cared about the number of guns that I've owned. I would decide on the type of gun I wanted, and then try to figure out which one was the best for my budget. If I found that I didn't use a gun any more, I would sell it for one that I wanted or would use.

#4 ·
Well I'm not a gun man myself, so other than a little brush up target practice and making sure everything is still all dialed in every year my primary use is deer and turkey hunting so I own one rifle (270), one 50 cal muzzy, and one 12 gage. As far as top end guns myself I prefer the cheaper "i wouldn't cry for a week" if I scratch it kinda gun. I don't see any 800 dollar gun out shooting my 300 gun at the short yardage I shoot. Optics is were anyone should put their money IMO.. Now don't get me wrong I do belive in you get what you pay for too, but I also wouldn't go buy a new 25,000 dollar 2012 truck and drive it off the lot and take it mudding or hard trail riding either. But maybe I would if I was a millionaire just caz lol

#5 ·
I have bought and sold many guns in the past. not really any of what I would call high end guns but guns that I wanted the would serve a purpose and also was not in the category of cheap crap. I have also sold some guns that I now wish I had held onto.
I now have some nice older Remingtons that cannot be obtained any longer in the same quality. I was looking the other night at a couple of Remington rifles in the BDL designation and was appalled at what is being passed off as BDL these days. makes me cherish the firearms I have much more. But I aggree in many ways, less is more.

#6 ·
i guess i should have been more spacific. im not looking to get collectors guns. im just looking to get rid of several entry level guns and replace them with nicer guns with nicer optics. as well as to have fewer guns. no sence having guns that just sit in my safe cause i dont even want to shoot them. prime examples. i Just got a Para USA GI Expert 1911. after shooting that i dont want anythig to do with my S&W Sigma. ya the sigma works just fine. it goes bang every time i pull the trigger. but it has a long heavy trigger pull, and its boxy. the 1911 has a short 2lbs. trigger pull. its cofortable to hold. you can feel the quality when your holding it. the reciole is less than my sigma. (sigma is a .40 cal. the 1911 is a .45 auto). pluss the recoil is straight back as aposed to up and to the left with the sigma. so if i sell the sigma i got extera $$$ to buy cool stuff for the 1911, like crimson trace grips, compensators, stuff like that. anothe gun i resently got rid of was my mossberg 100 ATR .270wsm. w/ an el cheepo wally world scope. it was nice when i bought it, but. this gun was bought for hunting and 9 times out of 10 i hunted with my shotgun because A. alot of my time hunting is spent in shotgun only areas, pluss shots over 50 yards are few and far between hear in NH. also after shooting my cuzents FNAR with a Trijicon Acupoint scope on it. well i just coul;d not call the ATR a tack driver any more.

#7 ·
At the same point of getting rid of guns i realy dont use much and moving towards higher end guns, im also moving away from having so many hunting guns and towards more "black rifles". my first gun that i bought that was over the $500 mark was a Stag Arms AR15. realy nice gun, but me being cheep i put a nockoff Eotech scope on it that i picked up for $100. what a piece of junk that thing is. i want to take the $$$ from the sale of my un used guns to buy a real Eotech scope for my AR as well as other add ons. like the SSAR-15 stock, magpul grips, and maybe a modifyed trigger.

#8 ·
people collect all kinds of things, stamps, cars, stained glass ect, I happen to like guns. I'm also not afraid to take a nice collectable out to hunt with it. If I would happen to put a scratch on it, I'd be ticked off but it wouldn't prevent me from taking it back out. If I happen to take out a 1948 $1300.00 Savage 99 and shoot a deer with it just adds to the hunt like someone taking their LS6 Chevelle out for a ride. I do not have real high end guns because the budget doesn't allow for them but I would sure like to own some. I too have sold guns that today would be real colectors and I wish I could go back into time and retrieve a few of them. What I'm talking about is selling some low end stuff and replace with fewer better quality products. Pre 64 Winchester models 70, 88, 100, 92, 94, early Savavge 99's, Remington 14, 141 are all good moderate dollar investment guns right now that I look at. I don't think some can have too many firearms in today's times. I would like to add a good old double barrel to the vault, like a Parker, Lefever, Fox, just to name a few.

#10 · (Edited)
just cause ill have it dose not mean that ill use it all the time. every now and then at the rainge just for fun. and in a SHTF/WROL situation it would be nice to have. im also getting a Stag Arms .22lr conversion kit for it. that would make it alot cheeper. i know alot of guys say alot of negitive things about the .22 kit but seing as how i have a Stag Arms AR, and will be getting a Stag Arms kit, if i have any issues with it they cant just blame the other company.:lol:

I think that by the time im done with it ill have well over 2 grand into my AR.

#12 ·
I never cared about coleecting guns. I just wanted to own one or maybe two of whatever type I needed. I also never cared about high/dollar guns, understanding that they did not kill or shoot any better than mid-price guns. As a result, I own two centerfire rifles, a .22, two shotguns, 12 and 20 and three handguns. I find that is more than enough for my needs. All are dependable, accurate kept clean and in fine working order. I can't think of any reason to buy anything more.

Besides, 90% of my hunting was done with a bow and I got those free.

:mellow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.