Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - When do you give up searching for a deer?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 08:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Field Dress

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
What does that even mean? I dont even know how to field dress. I throw all the deer I kill in my truck and drive it to a processing plant. Did get one tonight. 114 pound doe for the freezer. Pulled the trigger, it dropped, twitched twice and that was that. Again still no buzzards so I know for a fact that I missed that deer now.
Most processing plants I know charge an additional $25-$50 to field dress or remove all the 'innards' of the deer. There are plenty of videos available to show you how its done. Takes no more than 15-30 minutes from start to finish. The 30 minutes is taking the additional time for a buck to remove scent glands, scrotum, etc. It's all part of the process of shooting deer and something I've tried passing down to my children - so they know how it's done.

When shooting my first deer, my wife showed me how to do it. She'd watched her dad do it when she was growing up.

Personally, I think that you're missing out by not dressing your deer and leaving it all for the processing plant to do. But that's a personal opinion.

RR