Deer Hunting Forums banner

New Deer Gun

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tomlightfield 
#1 ·
Im looking to buy a mossberg 535 ats Slugster 12ga. anyone have any other recommendations for a deer hunting gun

#4 ·
I also use a Remington 870 with a Hastings 24" rifled barrel and a 40 yr old Redfield 2x-7x Widefield scope on it. I use this gun for deer because I've had it forever and it still works well for me, I have killed deer as far as 204 yards with it. BUT, if you are looking for a dedicated slug gun, I agree with spiker, you cannot beat the Savage 212(220 is 20 gauge). This gun is built just the same as their rifles and comes with a fully adjustable trigger. It will give you a completely movement -free shooting platform with 2 extra shots, just in case, instead of only one shot as in a break-open. I just set up a 220 for my brother-in-law with a Nikon 2x-7x Prostaff scope, then took him to get it dialed in. I was really impressed, the trigger is very smooth and it is a tack driver. If you are looking for a multi-functional shotgun, then the Mossberg is probably what you want. But don't forget, with Mossberg you are getting what you pay for, I know they have come a long way, but for me I still don't care for their stuff. If I was going to get a new gun STRICTLY for deer, it would most definitely be the Savage 212. Hope all this helps a little!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.