Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - When do you give up searching for a deer?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 AM
B&C 180 Class

I somewhat disagree with the above posters... while I respect their opinion, sometimes you just have to call it quits. You as a hunter, have no control over where a deer is going to go when it's hit. Yes, the ideal shot is for them to drop right then and there, but this isn't a perfect world. From the pics, it looks like just part of the forest was being logged and therefore, the doe just decided to hide out and die in that thick stuff. It happens. I've had to exhaust looking for deer that I knew were dead because I couldn't find them or did not have access to land where they went to. Many times, they'll jump onto neighbors land and if I don't have their phone number and can't FIND someone who knows them, I'm not going to break the law and get a hefty fine by trespassing. I have to call it quits. That's hunting, it happens, and yes it's bad that the deer wasn't found, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.