Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Albert Pujols
Thread: Albert Pujols
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 04:42 PM
B&C 180 Class

I use the term "HERO" loosely. Yes I agree soldiers are more HERO's than what athletes are.. but at the same time, a HERO is someone you look up to. Someone you admire. For doing the right thing and acting the right way. Hero's can be anyone you want, they don't have to be someone in a uniform or someone in a high office or even someone you personally know. They can be anyone. I thought he was someone I could look up to for his morals. Now, unfortunately, I'm second guessing that decision.
I know many of you think I'm crazy for talking like this... but that's because you don't understand. Albert meant more to us that what LeBron did to Cleveland. He "grew up" here. His fan base is better than any other athlete in the WORLD, I guarantee it. Is he the most popular, no, but fans YES. He IS STL Cardinals baseball. He's the reason why so many kids love baseball in this state and part of the country.
He did it for the money, and that's what hurts the most. We all didn't think he would be this way. We thought higher of him. It's not about the money, it's about having fun with what you're doing... playing a game called baseball. You are playing in a city that absolutely adores you and you walk away from it because someone throws cash at you. We just thought we meant more to him than that. It's going to take awhile to get over this for all Cardinals fans. I've been to hundreds of games in my life and I can honestly tell you walking up to the stadium and seeing all the pujols jerseys and pujols shirts, signs and everything else- he was loved here. And he threw it all away.
As for his wife wanting to possibly live in Cali? I doubt it.... like I said, she has a child with down syndrome and they have a HUGE charity in STL that they run. I didn't think they would want to leave that behind. Pujols has a restaurant in STL that is very successful... Who knows. Maybe he didn't like having everyone love him so much. some people are like that?? Maybe he wanted to move elsewhere and try something different. Maybe is WAS the money. Whatever it was, it sucks and we're all kinda uneasy about how this all went down.

btw- for what it's worth.. i just read that pujols living out in cali (the cost of living change) and making $250mil over the next 10 years would be the equivilent of him staying in STL and making $170 mil over the next 10 years. BASICALLY LESS THAN THE CARDINALS OFFERED HIM TO STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guess math wasn't a strong subject.