Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - fair weather or not?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 10:56 PM
B&C 140 Class

From everyone's post so far, I guess that I'm just going to have to be different.

Weather here in Central Texas during season can range from low 20's to upper 80's. I shot one buck during the rut when it was 80+ degrees out. I had to move back from my open blind to the shade due to the sun beating down on my head. When I heard two deer jump the fence off to my left, I moved back up into position. The doe ran across without stopping about 50 yards in front of me. Natural curiosity caught the buck's attention and he paused for a moment to look. I took advantage of that pause and put him into the freezer.

Most of the time I don't go out when it's real windy. Typically, the deer just don't bother moving at all. This year I tried it - went out on opening afternoon for what I thought would be a three to four hour rest with nothing but the trees and the wind for company. Was there less than 30 minutes when this 8 point came along and just ruined it for me - just had to get my attention. Mama even asked me what I was doing back at the house so soon. She didn't expect me for another couple of hours either. She was shocked when I told her that I had a deer waiting for me to go pick up.

Last year, all three deer I got were killed with less than 30 min of daylight remaining. This year it's been one mid/late afternoon and one morning kill so far. But then again, from what I'm hearing from just about everyone else in town, the deer are all coming out at weird times all over the county this year.

Y'all asked, so I'm just telling it like it is here in Texas. (or has been for me)

RR

Last edited by rdrader2002; 12-07-2011 at 10:59 PM.