Deer Hunting Forums banner

If you could have one Muzzleloader??

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
I would like a authenic Sam Hawken rifle. This would fill my rifle needs and then some to own one of his masterpeices. I knew when I built my Hawken rendition it would only be a HM rendition but to have one of the Master's rifles pretty awsome. What's your dream ML'der?

#8 ·
According to military records the British stated that a smooth bore musket was accurate out to 50 yds after that just hitting a man sized target somewhere at 100 yds was considered lucky. A rifled flintlock was very accurate out to 100 yds and could shoot 150 with fairly good accuracy. Reports of 200 yd hits are fairly well reported.

#11 ·
one muzzleloader

Man thats rough. I use different ones for everything. I love love the traditions vortek, but man that tc bone collector series, I just shot it a few times this week and man!!! Awesome. Heck I even dropped a few yotes with my CVA wolf compact!!! Overall though the Vortek!

#12 ·
Well I know there are a lot of better muzzleloaders out there. However I picked up a CVA Bobcat some 10 years ago for $50 red tag sale. The barrel is worn, a ton of bluing wear, the cheap synthetic stock is beat up. The only thing I've added is a Mag-spark ignition after finding No. 11 caps of any quality in local stores became a problem. Would shoot under 2" groups of 3 shots at 100 with patch and ball when I got it. Still does today.
The only comment I ever get about it is how amazingly light it is. But makes since since it's just a barrel, and about 1lb of stock weight if that.

It's 100% reliable with the mag-spark, and I've thrown 250 grain powerbelts out to 200 yards with lethal results.

Here in MS, nost muzzleloaders have gone to single shot 45-70's, or 35 whelen's. I'm still packing this light little meat taker around for some strange reason. lol

It is in fact the only muzzleloader I own.

#13 ·
Don't think I could get by with just one. Had to keep a shotgun and rifle so built these two for all my hunting needs.

.58cal. Berk's Co. Lightweight...under 8lbs. for my deer, hog and elk hunting.

.60cal. lightweight..under 7lbs. smoothbore (.20ga.) for all my spring gobbler hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.