Deer Hunting Forums banner

deer mount

6K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  scribe 
#1 ·
well as a few have probalby read from me before I myself have never ever had a deer mounted before and dont care to, not that i wouldnt mind having one or two around but for the money i would just rather put it in equipment or something I can use its not like I have much money in the first place but to spend 3 to 5 hundred bucks to just hang on the wall isnt me anyways. well as some of you know my son just got his first deer and it was a buck, not the biggest but a nice first for sure (my first was a yearling so i guess hes kinda got one on ol dad, but I guess I dont have to let him know that right now or I'll never here the end of it) but anyways he started fussing about wanting to get it mounted and i was like well whats wrong with just the rack mount like i have and i had him sold on the idea then the grandparents came in. yep they get the spoiling rights on this one because they siad it was his fisrt and we had his first turkey fan n beard in a plaque on the wall it was christmas soon and only right so they offered to half it. well never mounting one and hearing cost i was still a little nervous about what i was getting into. well I went to a highly recomended shop with great feedback from the locals around here. well its a flat rate of 275.oo for the sholder mount, 25.oo for the plaque, 10.oo for the ingraved name plate. with a total of $310.oo flat and estamated 6 weeks return wich puts it back just a few days before christmas. so we will see. O and I had them do a straight on look because the rack is different on each side, and one turn or the other determains a room so i figured a straight look he could set it any where. so this is one luck little feller this year on his hunting game. both first and both going to be on the wall for him to remimber for a life time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on deciding to save that deer for your son. That's a decent price, the guy I have used for well over 10 yrs now is in Kentucky and his last price was $295., I think. I would say, however, that I've always felt a mount with a turn always looked better to my eye, and ones I've had done (up to nine now) are all in a turn (semi-sneak I think it's called) with best side forward (turned outwards)

Best of luck with the work and I know your son will have an awesome Christmas now!! :pickle: :thumbup:

#4 ·
No he has been doing it for years but was only doing it on the side as his hobbie for years then deside'ed to open a shop and it's been open for a few years now but he still will only take a certain number of deer in so maybe that's why he's so fast and maybe caz this is a realy small town.

#5 ·
Still though, 6 weeks is super fast. I was told 6 months on my last mount and it ended up being over a year later. I'm just saying, unless you know the guy pesonally, don't get all excited to get it back in 6 weeks. I was so pumped when month 6 hit, then burst my bubble. I hope you do get it in 6 weeks!

#7 ·
Yes he tans the hides out his self. That's not that big of a deal I use to tan out hides when I did trapping, I learned to do it and bought the tanning stuff to do it right. I never did a deer pelt just a yote,fox, beaver, possum, skunk and raccoon. All turned out good too. I could do a yote pelt in probably 3 weeks I think. Realy all depends on how fast they dry out after fleshing. The chemical some after the drying is a set time

#8 ·
here is a pic i took of two of the deer he had hanging in his shop because i wanted to show my wife what we did. the little deer on the left is the straight postion we orderd and the bigger deer next to it has the same shild plaque we are getting on his. but you can see his work there and the fish below ithem and the ero mount beside um. he had quite a few mounts in there from fish to bobcats. like i said its just been a hobbie of his for many years and has only had the shop for three now, but comes with HIGH WORD from everyone around here that has ever delt with him. I have told many people about it now and still have not heard one bad thing about him or his work yet.

Attachments

#11 ·
Found out today that he has been doing it for 46 years, and was an instructor for a long time, and that most of the people here in the ky area that have taxidermy shops most likely got their starting point with him. That was a big wow humbler because talking to him he is defanatly not a ( well I did this, I do that kinda guy)

#14 ·
Went today to check on things and go ahead n payed off my balance, well I couldnt had timed it any better. I was taking my dad home (whom talked me into and payed half of it to start with ) well i pass the shop on the way to dads so we stopped in and I run in to talk for a min for an up date and pay off while I had the cash in hand ( with this time of year it don't last long, and I sure didnt want it to be done and my boy have to wait on me for it.) Anyways. The guy had my sons deer on the table and was working on it when I came it, said was about 20 to 30 mins from being done then it just had the drying time. So i gave a shout to dad to come in and we got to see it and man is he gonna love it !

#16 ·
Yeah he said about two weeks and said defanatly before Christmas and that's like 2 1/2 weeks so before Friday the 23rd for sure, only down is the feet will not be ready but that's ok and my fault because I took them in two days later so they got a different order slot with quite a few in front of them so it will probably be mid Jan on them I think not sure and realy I didn't ask and I don't know why guess it just wasn't as important as the head mount. Lol

#17 ·
I just counted. I have 26 different mounts in my office. Granted, most of them were free or at least greatly discounted because mt best friend is a master taxidermist. I have everything from a flying turkey to a pedestal mount bobcat.

I wish Ihad room for 100 more. As you get older, you are going to wish you had some of yours mounted and money won't be quite so much of a detractor. I am a firm believer in preserving a memory. of course, you can still have the racks mounted by simply buying a cape.

As I sit here and look around the room, I can relive every hunt. I don't even notice the wall of just rack out in the garage. Glad you are doing your son's. :yes:

#19 ·
yeah but like you said most was fee or dirt cheep, and id say there would be a whole lot more guys mount stuff if it was offered to them at the same you was offered. most people are paying close to 500 to shoulder mount a deer, thats just crazy. pictuer albums take up way less space and much much easier on the pocket.
and by the way that is an awesome wall you have there, i've never hunted anything that dont live in central Ky,

#21 ·
I only ever had one head mounted but paid for son's :wallbash: . I myself have all my memories stored away right where they first happened, between myself and the game. When I'm gone those memories go with me as they are mine. I'm not knocking anyone who choose to have heads mounted I just never got into it. Everyone has a reason for what they do it's the best way of separating us as individuals in a concentrated world. Scribe that's a nice game room. My buddy in PA has like 6 full bear mounts and a ton of heads looks nice but the cost is huge too.

#22 ·
I prefer the skull mounts.I just bury the head in the ground let the bugs do there thing,then put it on a nice piece of wood from the woods at cabin and your done.Its simple, cheap, and rustic looking.This way when im gone my daughter can say what the hell am i gonna do with all these horns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.