Deer Hunting Forums banner

Dogs

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  scribe 
#1 ·
What kind of dog is full of energy, likes to run, play fetch, and likes playing in the water? One that is not too overly aggresive but will still be protective of kids.

#2 ·
Your discription has LABRADOR written all over it! They have more energy than any dog I've ever seen, they love fetching and I'm sure they'll jump into anything including water! Not aggressive dogs but they are protective of property, surroudings and children.

just my 2 cents

#3 ·
Lab...among about 100 other breeds. The lab is a wonderfull dog and make absolutely superb pets. The only drawback is their penchant to chew on positivelyu everything when they are pups. I have had four in my long line of dogs I have owned and each was just a delight. Great with kids of all ages.

Just have enough ground and something for them for do and you will have a superb companion.

#4 ·
x3 you described a LAB to a tee. I have an 11 year old LAB that I just love. He was my hunting buddy for 9. He retired two years ago but still has some pupply left in him.

My GSP is pretty close to what you described but I had to put a lot of effort into teaching him to retrieve. He only goes in the water if a bird or a stick is in it.

#5 ·
Labs are great dogs we have a yellow now my family has owned a lot of Labs over the years & the only bad thing I can say about them is they can be stubborn but when they get in that mood you just have to be strict with them & show them you are the boss

#8 ·
We've had labs and I loved them to pieces but I think our German shorthair is a really good dog. She loves to play, is great with the kids, and is protective. The bad thing is shes a spoiled rotten house dog. I told our 3 yr old daughter she was worthless cause she doesn't hunt. I got told "shes not worthless. She loves me!"

#12 ·
TG
maybe you don't want a Lab saw this in the news this AM

Reuters) - A Utah duck hunter is recovering from minor wounds he suffered when he was shot in the buttocks by his partner's dog over the weekend, law enforcement authorities said on Thursday.
The 46-year-old man, who was not identified, was out hunting on Sunday with a friend and his friend's dog, a yellow Labrador retriever named Pipper, near the Bear River Bird Refuge in the northern section of the Great Salt Lake, about 10 miles west of Brigham City, officials said.
The two hunting partners had stopped their boat in a marsh area where their duck decoys were placed to retrieve a duck they had shot, and the man laid his 12-gauge shotgun across the bow of the vessel and stepped into the shallow water.
"The dog jumped into the boat and was stepping over the shotgun and made it discharge somehow. The guy was still walking away from the boat and he took it in the buttocks," said Box Elder County Sheriff Chief Deputy Kevin Potter.
The men called 911 and walked to a nearby road to wait for emergency assistance to arrive.
The stricken hunter was taken to Brigham City Hospital, where medical personnel removed 27 shotgun pellets from his backside. He was released a short time later.

#14 ·
hahahaha that's hilarious! lol! I've never owned a lab, but my aunt and uncle always had them (raised them) when I was growing up. They really are great dogs. AND YES, it is true, when they are young, they will not only chew on EVERYTHING but they will also drag everything out of your garage too. I know this because our neighbors have one and he's a year and a half and FINALLY out of that stage of oneryness.

btw... I would've suggested Bassett Hound because I grew up raising them with my family. They, to me, are the best dogs possible. BUT they do not have a ton of energy and they don't jump around everywhere like labs can and will do. They are however, very friendly with kids and very lovable dogs. plus I LOVE the sound of that deep HOWL they got.

#15 ·
I know of 2 breeds that will beat the Lab out hands down on most of the points mentioned, nothing against Labradors. they are fine all around dogs.
The breeds I am speaking of are, the Border Collie and the Australian Shepard

#17 ·
I was only commenting on the first question of the post.
And I agree, you do not want to be trying to keep up with the dogs I mentioned. they will keep anyone in the best shape as they are escape artists and are always looking to get some additional exercise even at their owners expense.

#20 ·
Yellow, black, chocolate are all the same as far as demeanor and hunting potential.

My black lab was a natural at retrieving birds. Took a little training to get him to work ten yards in front of m to flush quail.

Never tried to get them to hunt varmints. He was trained never to chase rabbits or other game. There was an incident with a porcupine in which he trained himself!

#21 ·
Blacks have won way more NC's than any other color lab which says for pure knowledge and trainability go with a black, However, I like them all, yellows, blacks, silvers, reds, choc. they have this really great new color a charcoal like a ghost!!!!! as in Timber ghost :boxing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.