Deer Hunting Forums banner

Buying a new rifle...need opinions.

11K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Hoggaphobia 
#1 ·
3 choices here gents......that is all. If you could own 1 of these rifles to hunt deer with which one would you choose...regardless of price...and why?

1.) Bolt action 30-06

2.) Bolt action .308

3.) Thompson Center Encore single shot in either 30-06 or .308

NOW.....what in your opinion is the best brand of rifle that you chose?

Browning A-bolt

Remington 700

Tikka

CZ 550 American

Winchester Model 70

Thompson Center

I want the "why's" here guys.....I'm finally dumping my Marlin 336C in .35 Remington after 2 years of missed deer and massive frustration. I do a LOT of stalking and need a rifle that can reach out and touch a deer at about 100 yds. I need fast and flat / I need lightweight, I need smaller size.

Any suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Well Mainer, my opinion would be a bolt action 30-06. Why? It's the only rifle I really ever messed with. I currently use a Remington 710 30-06. I've used other 06 models in the past and was satisfied with all. However I have heard a few people raving up the Thompson Center Encore models accuracy and such. I think that's the kind that breaks open to load/unload. But when you say fast and flat, lightweight and smaller size a 270 comes to mind. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

#3 ·
Greetings Mainer, with what you're looking for I have to ask you to take a look at this Rifle
it's the .270 Ruger M77MarkII UltraLight That rifle is exactly what you're looking for but if you're set on your choices I would go with the bolt Action .30-06 Remington 700 the reason I would choose that one would be
the .30-06's Outstandng Reputation and most Remington Rifles are dependable and accurate. GOOD LUCK

#7 ·
Id go with the 30/60 for the reasons above.tried and true cant beat a bolt action for reliability and accuracy rem 700

#10 ·
OK...I decided on the TC Encore....because I've always wanted one.

It's muzzleloader season here now...and I'm starting with the muzzeloader because its cheaper to buy them starting this way.

Help me with the rifle choice.....either the wood and blued barrel or the Realtree and stainless barrel.

Encore Muzzleloading Rifles - Thompson/Center

Please help...the stainless is $100 more...but for looks I'm leaning toward the wood one. I like the classic look.

#11 ·
well that depends on your personal taste.do you like the classic look or the more modern synt stock.stainless is supposed tp last longer but i dont like the ide of a real shiny barrel what the point of the camo:confused::confused::confused:

#14 ·
i do not like getting guns with the wood stock because you are always going to be worried about scratching it and you never think that you are going to have to walk through thick brush with it but oneday you will and when it gets scratched you will be mad. just a personal opinion. how ever it does look really ......really good with the wood and stainless

#15 ·
I'm new HERE, but have over 50 years of hunting behind me. Sad to say I've more experience than future when it comes to hunting. I'd like to pass on what I've learned over the years, not only as a hunter, but a taxidermist who has spoken with tons of successful hunters, as well seen what different calibers do to game and meat. Also, I did my beginning hunting in Vermont, so I know what that part of the country is like in the deer woods. I've hunted everything from whitetails in the east to muleys and elk in the west , where I now live, and caribou up north. Not bragging, just been around a long time. I've had most of the calibers and rifles mentioned in this thread, so I can give you some first hand advice (not theory or something I read). First, they can ALL do the job if the hunter does his or her part - practice at different ranges, learns about game anatomy, uses the right bullet for the job, knows his/her limitations, etc. The Ruger ultra lite in .270 is a great gun (I've had one) - It's a little on the light side for really long shots. The Rem. 700 (I've owned several) is a classic. I currently have a 700 Mountain rifle in .280 and have killed about 50 big game animals with it. Antelope, whitetails, muleys and elk - it does it all. I've shot the TC, but am a little wary about recommending a single shot. Maybe I'm not that confident a shooter. I also currently own a Rem. Model 7 in 300WSM, which is short and would be nice for woods hunting - but you probably don't need that big of a bullet. In addition to the guns I've mentioned, I've owned Winchesters, several other Rugers - including the International in .308 with a Mannlicher stock (another great gun for woods hunting) and the old style Savage 99 in .308 with the rotary magazine (too bad they stopped making that one). But my (slight)favorite is the Tikka Lite Stainless. I just got this rifle a couple of months ago. It's SUPER accurate - guaranteed to shoot 3 shots under 1 inch @ 100 yards, and it does every time. It's light - under 6 and a half pounds without scope, and it's less expense than most of the others and comes with rings and has a built in rail. This season I shot an antelope and 4x4 whitetail with it (270WSM). With a 24 1/2 in barrel, it may be a little long for woods hunting. Anyway, that's some info from an old-timer. I'd be glad to answer any specific questions about any of these guns or calibers. I hope it helps and good luck to all!

#16 ·
hey scrubhorse welcome to the site thanks for the great post .feel free to impart some"wisdom' on us anyday.nothing beats experience:yes:

#18 ·
Hello onehorse, good to see another young wise man to share some stories with. Just this year I took out the old 300 savage 99. I have a 38-55 winchester that still needs to collect a critter. My current favorite is a Rem Mountain rifle in 270 with a 3X9 Redfield Widefield. I think the Nature Gods will grant you many more outdoor adventures before the great one calls you home.

#20 · (Edited)
Personal preference comes into play on which model you choose. I like natural wood. I have a TC firehawk in walnut 50cal, a custom flint maple Hawken in 54, and a TC flint 50 cal PA hunter in walnut. I've never had a wood issue with weather in over 40 years of hunting. I'd go with either a 50 or 54 in a muzzlleloader, and that would be determined by what type of bullet/powder combination I was going to use. Pellets and sabots I'd go with a 50, loose black powder and I'd go with a 50 or 54. Young hunters really don't need the three 150gr pellets as 100 gr is plenty to bring down all the deer/black bear you might encounter. Just remember that muzzleloaders MUST be cleaned after every hunt they are used. At the end of every day I clean the barrel lightly with a solvent soaked patch and followed by dry patches. At the end of the hunt I run solvent wet patches till they come out clean followed by dry patches and finally rem oil patched. The gun is disassembled and every part cleaned and lubed. There is no need to use the old hot soapy water method. This system has worked well for me as my guns look like new. Good luck and happy hunting.

#22 · (Edited)
Bore Sighting

First, you can only bore sight a bolt action because you have to remove the bolt and actually look down the barrel. Set up a target at 25 yards and put your rifle on a good solid rest, sand bags work well. Look down the barrel while you adjust your rifle and bags until the bull of the target looks exactly centered in the barrel. Without moving anything, look through your scope to see where the crosshairs are located on the target. Most likely they will be off the bull. If you have to make a left or right adjustment, and your mount is capable of making them (usually by loosening a mounting screw on one side of the base while tightening the opposite screw) do that first. Remember to keep peeking down the barrel while you do this to be sure the bull is still in the center. Make final adjustments by using the windage and elevation screws of the scope. When you do this, it will look like the bull is moving closer and closer to the center of the crosshairs. When everything is lined up, take a shot at twenty-five yards. If you've done everything right, you should hit the paper. Make any other adjustments that are necessary to hit the bull, then try shooting at a new target at 100 yards, and you should at least, be close to the bull.
It helps if you know how the minute of angle adjustments work on your scope. Some are quarter inch meaning that one "click" will move the impact of the bullet one quarter of an inch @ 100 yards. So, for example, if your bullet is 3 inches to the left at 100 yards, you would have to move 12 "clicks" to the "R" direction. Keep in mind that because your twenty-five yards target is four times closer than the one hundred yard target, you will have to quadruple your adjustments when you are shooting @ 25 yards. That is, if you are hitting 3 inches to your left @ twenty-five yards, you will have to move 48 "clicks" to the "R" direction to hit the bull. Hope this helps.
The .270 with 130 grain bullets will kill a deer-size animal out to 500 yards. In fact most calibers will kill the game for which they are intended at ranges much farther than most hunters can accurately shoot. Be sure to know what YOUR capabilities, and don't shoot at anything beyond that. If you count on luck to hit something that's way out there, you are not respecting the animal. And, if by chance you score (you most likely won't) YOU haven't accomplished a damn thing.

#25 ·
thats all well and good if your hunting people:w00t:we're deer hunting ya dont need that much knockdown power.

#28 · (Edited)
timberghost, here's the most important thing to remember about what is the best rifle: the best rifle is whatever works best for you. If you think the Rem 710 is the best, you are already thinking in a positive way. That kind of confidence will give you a big edge when the "moment of truth" comes along. Don't take the bait and get tricked into debating what is the best rifle/caliber combination as everybody has their favorites. Just tell folks what works for you and why you like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.