Deer Hunting Forums banner

Beautiful PA 8-point

6K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
Headed up to camp in Tidioute/2F on Saturday night with my father in-law and our buddy who owns the camp. Had a nice weekend. Got in the woods right around 6 on Monday and sat there for a while. I was soaking wet by 7:00.

At about 20 after 7, a doe came running past me to my left, about 50 yards out. A couple minutes later a nice size buck came walking behind her. I popped open my scope covers just as he looked in my direction. Thankfully he didn't see me. He put his head down and took a few more steps as I brought my rifle to my shoulder. It was picture perfect. He stopped with his head down and I squeezed the trigger.

Shot felt good, gave him some time to lay down and die and I went to go find him. What I thought was a nice 6 turned out to be an 8-point with a 17 3/4" spread. He was dead by 7:30 and and only ran about 20 yards. First buck since 2004 and my 2nd buck ever. I was in a buck pool of 30 people and was the only one to come back with one. A simple $60 that's going towards getting this guy processed. Will also be getting him mounted.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks Bruce. He's the second buck I've ever had the pleasure of taking and I couldn't be happier!

Nice job getting a pretty one. How much does it cost where you are to get it processed by a professional?

Karl
About $80. This doesn't include the caping for getting it mounted, which is about another $25-$30. As for getting a shoulder mount done, my father in-law and the camp owner found a guy that does amazing work for $125 down, $250 total. That's where they took theirs last.

#5 ·
Good for you.I was hunting in southcentral PA that day.No rain. I saw a doe and fawn in the morning and a doe in the afternoon.I heard about 40 shots by 9:30 and scattered shots the rest of the day.I saw three bucks that were taken.A one horned 3 point,and two six points.The largest spread was about 14 inches.You have a very nice buck for PA.

#6 · (Edited)
You're tellin me! Although, he is a little smaller than last year's bucks...

My father in-law's 8:

The camp owner's 8:

Spread wise, mine was the smallest by only a 1/4".

ETA: Forgot to mention, mine and my father in-law's buck were taken within 200 yards of each other. The camp owner, Paul, took his buck about a half of a mile away on the first day last year.

#15 ·
Didn't think of this until now, but when I was in the same spot about 2 weeks ago for our bear season opener, I made a little panoramic video of my surroundings. I pulled the video up and it's kinda cool that you get a direct look into where my buck was when I shot him.

Here's a still shot from the video showing where he was standing. He was walking slowly from right to left and stopped right in the little black box I drew on the picture.

And just for fun here's the actual clip I shot, about 40 seconds long. Around 0:07 is when you get the shot down the shooting lane where he was standing.

titus2423's Channel - YouTube

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.