Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - What's the best deer attractant?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 10:33 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolHunter View Post
I'll tell ya two things bud,

1. As a wildlife biologist, I can tell you putting corn/bait out doesn't increase your chances of killing a big buck. Big bucks are smart and if you aren't doing everything else right, you will never see them. Also, 60% or more of the corn you put down is eaten by birds, turkeys, rats, mice, raccoons, possums, etc.....

2. If you bait, and people know, you will get busted. No matter what, if you take a chance long enough, you will get busted sooner or later. It is not just a fine either, it is a fine, confiscation of equipment (and animal if you kill one), court costs and can lead to a loss of your hunting priveleges.

Go the salt/mineral lick way. Call the Region I TWRA office and ask about any store bought products before you put them out.

Like I said, I do not do it during deer season. You are correct many other animals will eat the corn, but the vast majority of it is eaten by either deer or coons. Turkeys also like to nibble on it. Bucks will come to a corn pile. I have 1,000's of pics to verify that if you'd like to see them.

My point was not to recommend doing somethign illegal. Some states allow baiting and that includes corn piles. Missouri only allows it if you are not hunting that property OR if you remove all bait 10 days before you hunt the property. I stay legal in every sense of the word when it comes to bait and or attractants.