Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - tired
Thread: tired
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 12:49 AM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
Just a thought. Could it be you are paying too much attention to things like scent, noise and calling and not enough attention to deer travel and food sources the things that really count. Calling, contrary to many popular outdoor shows and articles can easily be as much a deterrent as an atractant. Truth is, it spooks far more deer than it brings in.

In areas where deer density is thin and hunting pressure is high, deer very quickly become nocturnal. That makes it tough. You cannot overcome that by being scent free or being quiet or calling. But the main ingredient in deer hunting success is proper scouting. If you have not prepared the seed bed, the flowers won't grow. If you don't know what the preferred food sources are and how the deer get to them and when...you are not likely to see many deer. In January, I will do 90% of my scouting for next season.

If I have scouted well, I will know not only where to place my stands but how to position them. All that remains is knowing when to hunt them. Often midday is prime time. If it is an agricultural food source, afternoon is usually best.

Sometimes instead of watching a tv show or reading a magazine article, that time might be better spent in the woods studying such things as food, cover, terrain and structure. Those are the only four factors that determine everything a whitetail does. On my number one place, I have two stands, less than 100-yards apart. In 12 years, I have killed 23 deer from one and 13 from the other. They are 12-foot ladder stands and the deer were about equal between bow and firearm. They are in a thicket of about 15 acres total. There is almost no rubbing or scraping in the entire thicket. Most hunters would not even bother to hunt there. But for the deer to get to their primary food source and back to their main area, they must pass through it. All four factors that control their movement meet in that one thicket.

Sorry for rambling, I'm a writer by profession.
yup done all them things.