Deer Hunting Forums banner

new here, just ordered new muzzleloader

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  johnnyf 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I am brand new to muzzleloading although I have rifle & bow hunter for years.

I just ordered a new T/C Encore Pro Hunter Endeavor today. I already have a Nikon BDC scope and will have it mounted when the muzzleloader comes in.

What are the other needed supplies? I know about the 50/50 pellets, the primers and sabots. What are the best of each I should get for the best performance? Also what are the best cleaning/lubricant items that I will need?

Is there a really good online source for all my muzzleloading supplies?

Thanks,

#2 ·
hello, well you picked a really great product in TC. I would not shoot pellets but use Black Horn loose powder. Bullets/sabot your choise so many to choose from. 250, 260, 290 gr in something. Rem, or CCI primers. Cabela's, bass pro has everything you need in one store.

#4 ·
Black Horn powder is simply the very best powder on the market right now for ML. I've never been a fan of pellets, too many things could go wrong, crushing one while loading, only one might go off, had this happen to me several times. Just try some BH powder and you will never regret it! Common loads are 90,100, 110 grs of BH behind a 250 gr TC Bonded shockwave. There are many other bullets to try but this is a good starting point.

#7 ·
I meant to ask another question. I will be using the T/C Encore Prohunter with the Nikon BDC 300 (3x9x40) scope. Isn't there a recommended "sabot/powder charge" combination that is supposed to work in conjunction with the Nikon BDC scope? IOW the bullet drop compensation marks on the lower vertical crosshair are supposed to be 50 yards apart. But I thought that it was supposed to work with certain sabots & powder quantities? Am I wrong?

#6 ·
As I said I am new to this. How do you measure the blackhorn powder? Or does it come in some sort of "pre-measured" quantities? Details, thanks.

I am familiar with the "209" primers. Are those the "reduced" ones you're talking about? Or are they the rifle primers? If not what type/brand of "rifle" primer should I get?

Thanks

#9 ·
Blackhorn is made by Western Powders. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, IMO it is the best powder out there as HM said.

It burns clean, no more scrubbing at the range.

It is more costly but worth it. I have been using my own 463 gr cast lead bullet. I am starting to Swage my own bullets and will be switching to a 405 gr made out of 44 mag cases.

Probably not something you want to do just starting out. There are many good commercial bullets out there. You may want to try the hornady xtp and sabot combo. They shot well for me.

#10 ·
Blackhorn is made by Western Powders. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, IMO it is the best powder out there as HM said.

It burns clean, no more scrubbing at the range.

It is more costly but worth it. I have been using my own 463 gr cast lead bullet. I am starting to Swage my own bullets and will be switching to a 405 gr made out of 44 mag cases.

Probably not something you want to do just starting out. There are many good commercial bullets out there. You may want to try the hornady xtp and sabot combo. They shot well for me.
where can I get the best deals on the Blackhorn powder and other MZ products?

#12 · (Edited)
You can also go to a local Sportsmanship Warehouse , Academy, Cabelas or reloading supply store.

If they don't stock it they can order it for you.

You also will want :

Short starter to get the bullet started
A T handle for your ramrod
A bullet puller
Hoppes powder solvent
A quick shot with volume measurement lines

#14 ·
You can also go to a local Sportsmanship Warehouse , Academy, Cabelas or reloading supply store.

If they don't stock it they can order it for you.

You also will want :

Short starter to get the bullet started
A T handle for your ramrod
A bullet puller
Hoppes powder solvent
A quick shot with volume measurement lines

Thanks for the info! As I said I ordered a T/C Encore ProHunter. It should arrive later this week.

What is the procedure for putting the powder, primer and bullet in this brand of muzzle loader? Someone mentioned using a different type of primer with the BH 209. What type/brand of primers should I buy? After cleaning the bore with the solvent should I be using any type of lubricant afterward? Also is it best to use a patch on a jag to clean the bore or use a brush instead? Or both a patch and then a brush?

I was told that I have to use some sort of lubricant on the breech plug. Again what is the best product for this?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.