Deer Hunting Forums banner

Traps?

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  flexj 
#1 ·
Trapping these pigs is legal here in Oklahoma, and I was wondering if anyone here as any good ideas on how to build one? Preferrably one with a trap door in the floor that opens up into a pool of hungry sharks...like Dr. Evil has. That way I wont have to mess with the disgusting things. I hate pigs!

#3 ·
good luck... Seriously though, depends on how many hogs you want to catch at one time. Have made corral traps with hog panel fence and square tubing. the smaller traps will catch some hogs, maybe 6 -8 . but here is the kicker, if you don't catch the whole group at one time the chances of the rest of the group going into the same trap later is very slim. They are a formidable opponent. Very smart. Your best bet would be to use a couple different tactics at the same time. put a trap or two out, some corn feeders in other areas and shoot them at the feeders. once you have em they are hard to get rid of. if all else fails--- claymore mines on trip wires or a good old fashion carpet bombing. lol

#4 ·
good luck... Seriously though, depends on how many hogs you want to catch at one time. Have made corral traps with hog panel fence and square tubing. the smaller traps will catch some hogs, maybe 6 -8 . but here is the kicker, if you don't catch the whole group at one time the chances of the rest of the group going into the same trap later is very slim. They are a formidable opponent. Very smart. Your best bet would be to use a couple different tactics at the same time. put a trap or two out, some corn feeders in other areas and shoot them at the feeders. once you have em they are hard to get rid of. if all else fails--- claymore mines on trip wires or a good old fashion carpet bombing. lol
That's what I am afraid of. I know it is just a matter of time until they will totally take over my deer hunting place. If they do make their way over to my place i may try to set up a corral trap to try to get them all as they come. All the land owners around me hate the pigs too, so maybe between all of us we can keep our area mostly pig free. I'm afraid they have found the huge mast crop in my main hunting canyon. They haven't been sighted on my place just yet, but I'm sure it wont take long. They have been consistently at a neighbor's corn feeder. I pulled my feeders out yesterday so maybe they will stay over there on the neighbor.

#5 ·
My best friend is working a seasonal job with KY Fish and Wildlife and his entire job is killing hogs. He uses Corral traps as described above baited with regular corn and sour mash. These traps are very effective and you normally get a multiple catch.

Setting out snares on some travel routes or around bait can be very effective as well but you have a lot of traps to check (unless you are gonna leave them and let the coyotes eat them...not real ethical but hogs are worse than rats so kinda hard to feel bad for them).

You can also try hunting them but this is the least effective means. This is especially true if you use dogs because all it does is push the hogs into a larger area.

No matter how you try to kill them (corral, snare, hunting) they get VERY wary of human scent. If you are going to trap, I suggest that you wait and try to trap when conditions get the hardest because it will concentrate them around the bait you are putting out.

You might also want to call your state agency or USDA officer for your county/area. With my friends position you can enter into an agreement to pay X amount to help them build the traps. After that the official will bait, set, and clean out the traps for you.

Best of luck in eradicating them

#6 ·
We have game cameras out and can identify some individual wild hogs: We do catch wild hogs from the same sounder at different times. It all depends on how hungry they are. Our traps are light and can be loaded by one guy. So far this year we have trapped about 80-90 wild hogs in this trap and another almost like it.

#10 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I can/will build one of these things to be ready for the invasion. I haven't seen any pigs on my place since deer season, but they are not far away. Trapping seems to be effective on these things...I've talked to several land owners who have had success with similar traps. One question I have is do the traps need to be brushed in? or is it ok to just set them out in the open?

#11 ·
The Hog Slammer

You may also want to look into the Hog Slammer designed by Southern Outdoor Technologies. The videos and testimonials are impressive. All you need is stock fencing materials, bait, and the trap and they are catching hogs in large numbers. I found them on huntingblindsunlimited.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.