Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - 21 deer on the wall.....
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 02:00 PM
B&C 180 Class

Default 21 deer on the wall.....

Well yesterday (friday) I took a day off from work, and I'm glad I did. Have any of you ever had one of those days out hunting that tops pretty much any day you've ever had? Well yesterday was that day for me. I saw all in all 21 deer and multiple scenarios. Here's how it started out and ended up for those of you who care!

Decided to hunt the big woods so I got to the edge of the woods just at first light (sun wasn't up yet). There were logger trails still established so I made it more than 1/2 way back in the woods completely silent! The wind was ok, 5-12 mph from the south temps were in the low 40's. Once the logger trail ran out, a doe walked no more than 15 yds in front of me! She came out behind a dozer pile. I pulled up my rifle, but then I heard foot steps behind her. The next deer was her fawn. So I took aim at the mature doe once again. Just then I heard more footsteps behind the fawn. This was a buck... but only a 6 point and therefore protected under Missouri's 4 point-on-one-side law. Just as I was ready to pull the trigger, I heard footsteps behind me. I didn't want to take a shot at a doe if there was a mature buck behind me! Well they ended up running off, not sure about what I was, and as they ran I spun around quickly to see, but it was the other fawn's twin that had gotten seperated from the "pack".
I finally made it to my blind and sat there a good 2 hours and the wind picked up and continued to blow around 15 mph. I decided I was going to move locations and try something new. just as soon as I stepped out of the blind, a doe that was in the creek behind me ran off. (this makes 5 if you're counting) Then as I'm exiting the woods, I jumped another doe. (6).
I decided to head over to a hayfield that I like to hunt because it's full of drawls and ridges. I like to walk around in the drawls and see what I can find. Well I saw a NICE 8point chasing a doe like CRAZY. BUT... I was about 400 yds away so I needed to get closer. I dropped down in a drawl and high-tailed it that direction. Once there, The buck would not stand still as he was constantly chasing this doe. They disapeared as I was inching closer and closer and just when I thought they ran off, they were actually down in a new pond, getting some water. BUT there was another buck and doe down there with them. They spooked when they saw me and ran off (10). I decided to circle back around to where I knew they'd come out of the woods they ran into, and sat for over an hour with no luck. Just then I decided well I'll check my trail cams that I have in the back of the property. Once back there, I jumped 3 does and a young 4 pointer on the neighbors property (14).
Now I was sort of getting frustrated... I felt like I was having the worst luck of the day, BUT at the same time, I love seeing deer. I like having that interaction.
I then decided to go home and eat lunch and come back after lunch. Once back after lunch, I went to a new spot where the wind was blowing directly at my face. This Missouri weather has been crazy. South and Southeastern winds with gust up to 30+ mph. This fall has been nuts here. Well at about 3:30pm I saw a doe sprinting, and I mean SPRINTING down a fence row and a young 6 point was hot on her. I didn't have a chance to shoot her b/c she was running so fast. (16) Then at about 4:30pm, I look way down in the bottom I'm facing and I see a doe walkout from behind a ridge. I'm guessing the range was anywhere between 200-250 yds. I found a good solid tree and set up steady and made a good shot on her. She jumped 4 feet in the air! I knew I had me a good doe down. Then my heart sort of sank, b/c I had shot so fast that I should've waited to see if a buck was behind her. Well not 3 minutes later, a nice 8pointer walked out behind the same ridge and at first he looked young at 200+yds away. He ended up walking into the woods and I thought to myself, I should've taken him. Well low-and-behold not 5 minutes later, he walks back out. I had my rifle up, but thought I should glass him one more time. That was my mistake. I saw that he was a shooter and it was almost too late. I got on him as he was basically back-tracking where he had came from. He stopped with only his body showing on the other side of the ridge. I shot, but hit the ridge and saw dirt fly up. He froze. I shot again, and thought I saw him drop but wasn't for sure. Well by then it was around 4:40 and I knew I didn't have much light left. Plus they were near a neighbors fence and I didn't want to have to chase them or search for them. There was a away for me to circle around them to see if they were in fact on the ground dead, so I made the decision at 5:15pm to do so. (18 total) As I approached the ridge from the back-side, I saw a doe down in the drawl. I had a tough decision to make, because I didn't know if this was the same doe I shot of what?!?! Well she was about 50 yds away and didn't see me or the bullet coming and I dropped her. I walked over the next ridge and saw another doe in the bottom of that drawl. I pulled my gun up and was only about 30yds from her and decided NOT to take her b/c she looked smaller and maybe even another button buck (and I don't need another one of those!) She finally saw me and her twin was hidden and ended up running off, both of them. (21) Well I knew I had that doe I just shot, down. I went up to her and she was HUGE. Probably the biggest doe I've ever shot. Had to be at least 5 1/2 or older. I searched the bottom ground where I shot at the other two, but found absolutely NO blood anywhere. I checked fence line and even spotlighted the neighbors land from my side. Saw nothing. I have to admit, I was disapointed but at the same time I was glad I got a doe. I'm up to 3 now, 2 buttons and 1 doe. I still have an "any deer" tag in my wallet that keeps getting HEAVIER and heavier!

All in all, it was a fun day and I enjoyed every minute of it. Wish I had gotten either one of the bucks b/c one was bleach white and the other was more chocolate. But oh well. Getting ready to head back out after lunch today. Saw a young 6 chasing another doe this morning but they were more than 300 yds away and chasing hard.

Good luck to everyone this season, stay safe, and thanks for reading!