Deer Hunting Forums banner

Another property lost???

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  DVW 
#1 ·
I just came back from the home of one of the several siblings that own the old farm property that I hunt. Apperently, there is a family feud among some of the siblings and my hunting there was one of the sources of contention. I have always made a large effort to be respectful to all the members of the family and always show my appreciation to them for letting me hunt their property. The one who is making the biggest fuss, does not hunt nor does he have children that hunt so it's not like I'm infringing on their hunting areas. He says he is afraid that I will get hurt while on their property and try to sue......Number 1- I'm not that type. Number 2- I tried to explain that the written permission slips provided by the state of Ohio, refers to the an ordinance in the Ohio Revised Code that hold the property owners harmless who give permission for recreational use of their land. The sibling who usually signs my permission slip gave me the option of moving my stands to a different part of the farm where his son hunts and his son is ok with this also but I then I would feel as if I was infringing on his son's hunting. Even though they have given me written permission for this season, I will probably pull my stands this Friday and let the property go. Anyone have an other ideas or comments on how to handle this...............Thanks:sad:

#2 ·
You're in a tough situation for sure but if i were you i would be willing to share the woods with the son that hunts,
that shows your willingness to be a participating respectful hunter and not an upset trouble maker
who just gets angry about it and bails out of the whole situation but i would limit my presence on the land to just one stand after moving.
Good Luck I hope this helps.

#3 ·
that is tricky man. so this is NOT your family... do you pay for a lease on the property? if so, i'd hunt my lease till it's ran out. If not, I'd say you have to respect the wishes of the property owners. I hate saying it, but I'd remove all stands and find a new place to hunt. sorry

#4 ·
How long have you hunted this property?? If it's a pretty good amount of seasons I would reflect back to those as proof that if you were going to sue, that you wouldn't have waited this much time to do so. I would also sit the concerned sibling down one on one and just have an open conversation about both points of view if thats a possibility. I guess it all depends on how near and dear this particular place is in your heart. Either way good luck, hope it turns out for the best.

#5 ·
No, it is not my family and no I do not pay for a lease. I am pulling all but one stand tomorrow. That stand, I have let the son hunt from for 3 firearms seasons but it has to be moved also. I will let him hunt it this year's firearm season but I think I'll phase myself completely out of that property after this year. The sibling in question does not want to discuss the matter with me and I'd rather bow out on good terms with the rest of the family then end up adding fuel to the fire. B.T.W. this would have been 10 yrs of hunting this property. Thanks all for your input.

#6 ·
I have had to find new places to hunt several times over 45 yrs of hunting.It has happened about every 10 yrs.Usually its because old landowners die and the property is sold to someone who wants to keep the the hunting rights in their family or friends.I don't pay for hunting rights.I understand in some areas this is the norm.

#7 ·
Stands have been pulled and set at different property. It's going to take a couple seasons to learn how to hunt this little wooded section of land but there is a fresh scrape and alot of sign so maybe..............!!!!!. We'll find out in the morning

#8 ·
Update

Good news! I just tied up 16 more acres connected to the new property I started to hunt this year. Also, just talked to the lawyer of the coal company who owns the next tract of land beyond that and they are interested in selling me at least 11 more acres of property provided that their coal interest has in that area is exhausted which he beleives it has..

#10 ·
Hunting land

This is my biggest problem with deer hunting.I've been at it for over 40 years and finding and keeping a good place to hunt is tough.I can't afford to purchase or lease.So about every 10 years something changes and I lose access to a property I spent several years learning how to hunt.

#11 ·
Hey, I know how difficult this could be. But man, kindly let go of the property to give peace a chance. After all, the experience you have accumulated over the years can't be taken off you. Who knows, a much better place is waiting elsewhere for you.

#12 ·
That's tough. I'm glad that it looks like you have new options now though. I hunt on my own property, but all it would take is for someone to build a house in the right (or wrong) location next to me and I would either have to stop hunting on my own land, or switch to archery. The people who own the property next to mine have had it for 30 years and have never developed it. Someday they will sell it and I'm sure that the new owners would want to build a house. However they have said that I would have first shot at buying it when the time comes. They have also talked about re-zoning it as dedicated forest land. Which would mean no houses allowed, but would greatly depreciate the property value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.