Deer Hunting Forums banner

Totally frustrated

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  delbert 
#1 ·
I have scouted out a monster buck, waited until the wind was right then set up this morning in a makeshift ground blind, and 20 minutes after daylight there he was in his every bit 140" rack.

Everything was perfect, had a great rest, a perfect wind and the crosshairs on the shoulder, I slowly squezed the trigger and then I missed a 124 yard shot. I know it is not the gun I had just sighted it in. I have no idea what happened. ARGGGHH!!!!

This is the buck that is rubbing the 6 and 7" cedar trees that I posted a picture of. I guess the good news is I am fairly confident it was a clean miss and I will hunt him the rest of the season but I know I don't get many second chances on bucks like this.

#4 ·
Ran into the same situation last year. Had my sites set on a very large doe, squeezed the trigger, only to watch the doe run off.

Figure that somehow my rifle scope got bumped. Re-zeroed the scope a day or so later to find that it was about 3" high at 25 yards. 3" at 25 yards means a good foot high at 100 yards - probably shot right over her shoulder.

Re-zeroing paid off a week or so later when another large doe got put into the freezer.

What's the old saying??? Shhhhtuff happens???

RR

#7 ·
an older friend of mine kinda made the same mishap but his was because he is on blood thinners and like most stays cold, and even though he hunts from a tree house he still wears big thick gloves. he said that big buck came in and he grabed his muzzel loaded and while getting ready to line him in he went to put his finger in the trigger area and said the glove was so fat an stiff it discharged his muzzy. Our BP weekend was back in Oct and every time i talk to him that is still his first topic, his silly mistake, but i keep telling him it was a clean miss and if the deer made it through the weekend that there was a great chance he would see him again come the November gun. i beat he dont wear a glove on that hand the reast of the season , he'll set on it to keep it warm lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.