Deer Hunting Forums banner

???best Load For .270 Win????

64K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
I just bought my first Savage (with AccuTrigger) 111Bgl chambered in .270 Win. Just wanted some input on which loads I should shoot. I hunt a lot of open country and sometimes it requires shots up to 300+ yrds. I never like dialing long distance (anything over 200yrds) but if the time comes and I need to, I want to be confident that my selected load is going to do the job at 300 yrds. I was thinking that 130-140 grain should give me plenty of muzzle velocity but at 300+ yrds would I still have the knock down power to effectively take deer cleanly???

G
#27 ·
Favorite elk rifle

I have a Savage 111 in 270win using Barnes 130gr spitzers @3000fps. (Hand loads) Zero is 200yds. 1/2 moa groups out to 500yds, with a drop of 36.6inches @ 500yds. Trigger was cleaned up and lightened by a trusted gunsmith. My rifle doesn't seem to take to the 150gr bullets. I really love this caliber!!! Some friends say the load is too light for elk, but I have never shot an elk that wasn't an immediate stop with this combination.

#28 ·
Most would agree that the 270 Win is minimum for Elk

I would not say your 270 Win will not work on Elk, of course it does. It is probibly at the starting end of all the Elk cartridges. If your rifle liked the 150gr load in a controlled expansion bullet you would have more sectional density working for you. The higher the SD the deeper a bullet will penetrate on the animal. I would be tempted to try the 140gr loads sense your rifle doesn't like 150s. I always read you can't go wrong with 180gr loads in a 30-06 for Elk, using a 270Win they usually recommend the 150gr. These two have similar sectional densities. Bottom line stay with a controlled expansion bullet in a weight that your rifle likes. Most important thing is to put that bullet in the right place on the animal.

Karl

#29 ·
I believe a 140 gr premium bullet in the 270 win is just about perfect. I like Remington premier line with swift a-frame bullets. I also agree that the 270 is the starting point for elk and prefer 150 gr for elk. I took my Rem 700 in 270 as a back up for the Weatherby 270 mag shooting 150 gr.

#31 ·
The failure of the 300 Weatherby was not the cartridge

I know that my Idaho outfitter considered the 338Win mag perfect for Elk. He thought that the 300Win and 300Weatherby magnums were wonderful IF the hunter picked the right bullets. He said he lost count of the number of bullet FAILURES with the 300 magnums. I think that some hunters think that velocity is everything and grouping at long range is all important. We need to stop thinking about shooting an animal in the next zip code. Hitting the animal is very important but if your bullet doesn't stay together and kill it cleanly you have failed. All the bullets selected for the 338Win mag are designed for tuff heavy animals, many of the bullets offered in the 300 magnums are really Deer/Antelope bullets. Elk deserve a quality controlled expansion bullet, using a Deer bullet on them should be frowned upon at the least. My outfitter also wanted us to be using heavy for caliber bullet weights. On my first trip with him I carried a 30-06 shooting 165gr Nosler partitions, on the second trip is carried a 30-06 shooting 180gr Nosler partitions. The 180gr bullet performed perfectly on my second trip. I think that the 165gr could have done the job, but was glad I moved up the 180gr partition.

Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.