Deer Hunting Forums banner

Need help want a new rifle

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  rdrader2002 
#1 ·
Right now I have 2 rifles. A lever action .270 and a bolt action .243 both Browning. The .270 is all wood and is so damn heavy compared to my .243 but it has a far better scope. The .243 is nice because its a lot lighter but I have trouble seeing anything as soon as the sun starts setting. Also when I have longer shots, anything over 200 yards the .270 is a lot better, but again its so damn cumbersome. I have shot a BAR before and thats about what my .270 reminds me of.

I want a lightweight rifle that I can shoot long distances with. Money is of no concern. I assume composite is the way to go? Also whats the best scope I can possibly get? Im sick of big deer walking out 10 mins before pitch dark at 250 yards and not being able to take a shot because I cant see them.

#2 ·
Light weight, that still packs a punch

I would recommend any of the mountain rifles. The three choices that I would recommend would be in my mind...
Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 270
Winchester M70 Featherweight in 270
Remington M700 Mountain rifle in 270

Each of these are light, with the Weatherby being the lightest and most expensive. All have the great trigger that you will need for your 250 yard shots.

The caliber could change but you already have a rifle in 270. It's a great caliber and the light mountain rifles will kick more than the standard weight ones.

For a scope I would be looking at the top of the line Leopold or Zeiss conquest line of scopes. You don't want a scope that weights a ton on top of a lightweight rifle. You only need quality optics not large diameter
ones. Most States only allow shooting 1/2 hour past the setting of the sun. A good quality scope will easily grant you the shot during that time.

Smarter, more experienced, and more successful shooters/hunters are going to give you their input this is mine....Good luck with your choice..

Karl

#3 ·
Just would add that the upper class Leupold scopes would also work. When money doesn't matter then the sky is the limit and that's a good thing. I'd start looking at custom builds with a max barrel length of 22". The only problem is it might take 6mo to a year to get. :yucky: Have fun shopping.

#4 · (Edited)
You've gotten good advice thus far. A lightweight Weatherby or perhaps a Remington m700 Titanium (no longer made) would fit the bill very well. My M700 Titanium wears a Conquest 3-9x40 and it is not lacking whatsoever in brightness needed during any legal shooting times, wherever I have hunted and rifle and scope combined weigh right at 7 pounds.

Good Luck!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.