Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - 575 Yard shot down the throat.
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
My only problem was you shot at a game animal with very limited almost no margin of error at a very long range with really poor shot angle and still took the shot, no game animal ethics. If the buck was facing you, I assume, could you have waited him out to move closer and take a better shot? 99.9% of hunters would have passed on the shot as too big of wounding potential. You got your buck, congrats, but I would have kept it to myself and not sent it all over the web, nothing to brag about to me. I have several rifles fully capable of that range but I give game animals the benifit of doubt when highly questionable shots are at had. You made the decision that any shot is ok, given the yardage and where you hit him, it won't pass muster here, sorry. To quote you" I had limited options" one option that you should have taken was to not shoot!
Constructive feedback. I agree. Thanks. Agreed too that the decision to shoot may not have been the best one. I am a new hunter an plan on making many more mistakes along the way. That's how you learn right. The clip was not to "brag". The fact that the bullet went down his throat was evidence enough that I was high on my shot. I shared this because it was a rare moment. And I don't only post my greatest moments on the web. I share them all and along as they are a part of my hunting journey.