Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Spooking Deer
Thread: Spooking Deer
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Spooking Deer

My name's Blake and I've just started bow hunting this year. I absolutely love it, but I have never in my life had so many problems taking aim and knockin one down.

Example 1, Opening day, saw a large 6 pt walk right in from of my stand. I waited til he turned and started to draw, but as soon as I started, he turns around as stares dead at me. So I wait.... and try again. Same thing. After about 2 mins of this, the buck catches on and trots off.

Example 2, different location. 3 doe walk out. I'm chomping at the bit to take something with a bow, so pretty much everything in the woods that's brown is becoming fair game. I go to draw up on the lead doe and manage to spook the back one and send them all running. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong or what tricks I need to work on, but god knows I need help b4 I just put the bow up and wait for rifle season.

I really do enjoy bow hunting but I've now seen 15 deer in 3 weeks including a beautiful 8 pt, two 6's, and a couple of cow horns. It's driving me nuts. Any advice or wisdom from my predecessors would be great.