Deer Hunting Forums banner

Breaking my own rules

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TurdyPointBuck 
#1 ·
Wow! I never thought I would be in a situation that I would not only be considering, but contemplating on breaking my own hunt rules. every year I go into the field with the goal of harvesting meat. I buy 2 combo tags each season. (a combo tag is 1 either sex deer and 1 antlerless deer.) (in Illinois, we are allowed to harvest only 2 antlered per per season).the second combo tag is an insurance tag that allows me to shoot a spike and the 14 pointer that follows 50yds behind him. with the rut still 4 weeks away and the high probability of seeing and or shooting a really phenomenal buck and only one more either sex tag left, I find my self in the precarious situation of possibly letting a lesser buck pass. This has never happened before.

#4 ·
case history in my hunting area would dictate the following. waiting to shoot two big ones would carry the same outcome as, you snooze you lose. you have to meet opportunity with malice and forethought. I have one buck in the freezer now so I am not under the pressure to get my first score of the season and with the rut approaching I don't want to cheat myself of the opportunity of rattling in a NICE NICE buck. Besides, I got a really nice new set of rattling horns to try out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.