Deer Hunting Forums banner

Bald Faced Hornets

7K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Hellbilly 
#1 ·
Well fellas, I just had my old pond pushed in and bulldozed level in our backyard. Trust me, I didn't WANT to do it, but the previous owners didn't keep it up and there was alot of debri and trash and sewer runoff in it.. NOT a good situation. There was no saving it. Well I had about 4 trees I wanted the bulldozer guy to take down as well and one of them I noticed when I got home that evening was still standing. Turns out there's a bald faced hornet's nest in it! The nest itself is about 15 ft in the air and attached to a limb coming out the side of the tree. My question is, does anyone know a good way to get rid of them? I've been told some interesting ways by some old timers.. one guy told me to take a .22 and shoot it down and let it lay for 3 days and all the hornets would be gone. My father-in-law said to wait till the first freeze and then use a ladder and climb up there and cut it down (HECK NO). Anyone else have any BRIGHT ideas??? lol Here are some pics I pulled off the internet... these aren't MY hornets!

See less See more
#2 ·
well you Father in law has the best idea out of the two
they will be dorment when it is cold & they supposedly can't sting you
I have done it with bee's but not hornet's
I do not advise this but I have taken an old arrow w/ a lit rag & & have shot a nest before but don't miss as you may burn something you don't want to burn

#3 ·
I would deal with them during a freeze, early in the mornig before the sun can warm it up. Most bees/wasps dont move too fast when its very cold. Use caution if on a ladder, 15 feet up and a nest full of mad hornets is fairly dangerous.

Either that or a tanker truck full of raid or an air strike, just dont send them north.

#6 ·
Those are some pesky little devils. 2 cans of the 25' wasp and hornet spray should do it. Takes some steady nerves. I just did the same thing about 1 month ago at night with a flash light and just soaked the inlet hole, next day shot it again. Kids took it out with soft balls.

#9 ·
Those little white and black things can really put a hurting on someone too when they're not dormant.

I agree... about 7 of them escaped from the nest and made a new nest this past summer in our basement walkout door way. I walked out and one flew in front of me and so I ran back inside and one was on my head and stung me on the top of my head.... talk about HURTING!!!!:crybaby:

#10 ·
wait until the first frost, on a cold morning.. get it into a garbage bag, flood the bag with Raid, let the wasps die and then but the nest up on the wall.. they look very cool. have a nest in georgia i am gonna get when it gets cold enough.

#14 ·
It is too bad they can be such a nuisance, because they really aid in managing other pests. On to the point, a few factors that can help when dealing with them. Light-colored clothing is a good choice. Beesuits are white because of thermal reasons and white is not a recognized typical 'threat' color. All the animals that would harass them are darker colored. And, as others have mentioned, colder weather is a good time to deal with them. They can still sting, but they need to group up to generate heat and are clumsy and slow without it.

#15 ·
in NC we put a plastic bag over them,tie bag to branch to seal it off.Then cut branch. spray bug killer in bag,let sit.Keep it in a cool area "shaded" if left in the sun condensation will start and if left to long will destroy nest. I have 2 hanging in the house and 4 out in the barn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.