Deer Hunting Forums banner

the approaching season

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  gfdeputy2 
#1 ·
Just 13 days till the opener here in Il. and unlike past years when I had everything ready to go in march, I am way behind the 8 ball this year. I got my spot and my ladder stand set up last week and I am sighted in to 50yds. other than that, nothing.

#4 ·
I to have a 50 yard pin on my Hoyt
would take a 50 yard shot if it was a an ethical shot
I practice out to 70 yards just to make sure I am comfortable with a 40-50 yard shot

#5 ·
I to have a 50 yard pin on my Hoyt
would take a 50 yard shot if it was a an ethical shot

I wouldn't trust myself out that far. I have a 3 pin sight with 10, 20, and 30 yd pins. I keep it simple. Plus, all my stands are set up where 30 yds is my absolute farthest point anyways.

Going bow hunting tomorrow night (friday) for the first time this year. I'm pretty excited and pumped! Not much action going on in the morning around here thanks to the trail cams... evenings are the heaviest travel time.. well that and after dark.

#6 ·
Well, I don't actually think I will have to take the 50 yarder this year. I will have to range everything tomorrow when I go out for the last time before my first set to and tighten and prep everything. But I dont think I even have a 50 yd opportunity. When the deer enter the woods they are in range and at 35 yds. They only get closer from then on. The main deer trail brings them to within 15yds and 90 degrees to my left as they approach me, with multiple shooting lanes the entire stroll.

#7 ·
as I suspected. precisely 35 yds to the entry point of the woods. 12 yd shot to my immediate left where the trail runs past me. I was able to get everything all set up for the season opener next Saturday. I would like to have had more sit time, but I was not in camo and I probably was glowing like a light house. So I was glad not to have had any encounters. My tree this year is an old mature white oak that was dropping acorns like a hail storm.

#8 ·
Just 50 hours and counting.
weather outlook for Saturday is partly sunny with a high of 61 and rising pressure.

#9 ·
Tator
I would not have taken a 50 yard shot with the old bow but with the new hoyt it is no worse then a 40 yard shot
I have 20, 30, 40, & 50 yard pins like I have said in the past I do pracrice out to 70 yards just so I am confident in a 40 yard shot
I guess when I get to your age I may not be able to see the target at 40 so I will keep practicing out to 70 for as long as I can :boxing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.