Deer Hunting Forums banner

Scent Control

9K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Unregistered 
#1 ·
I am anal when it comes to scent control. I take the following approach to control scent.
- Do not smoke.
- Change/unchange outer garments at the truck.
- Wash all clothes is scent free laundry det.
- Use scent free shampoos,soaps,deoderants.
- Spray all clothes,boots and equipment down before the hunt.
- Store all clothes in big zip lock bags with earth scents.
- Dress light and packin clothes to avoid extra perspiration to the stand.
- Avoid strong odor foods. (jerky,garlic,etc)
- Hunt into or crosswind.

Does anyone else go through all this to avoid detection or am I to the extreme?

#2 ·
no you aint the only one. im right there with ya. my wife kinda looks at me funny from time to time. the scent elmination article in the hunting tips section is what i do every time to cover my scent. my only downfall is I dip tobacco. so there is a chance if the lid was off my spit bottle and the wind blowing in the wrong direction i could be busted. i have not noticed it happen yet though.

#4 ·
im just as bad you should see the look you get when your in your drawers changing in december:biggrin:

#5 ·
I am very scent conscience but I do very little "scent control". The way I see it, if a big buck gets in your scent stream he will smell you. Thats all there is to it. I hunt down wind, or cross wind. I move around alot cause I know deer smell where I have been. I often go hunting straight from work in my work clothes and I certainly take my share of mature bucks, and most of my hunting is done on public land.
http://thejump.net/gallery2/d/795-2/ALLDABUX.jpg

#6 ·
very impressive:ibtl:

#8 ·
and oh yeah bukmastr your gonna have to upload some of your pics to our gallery. you put some very impressive ones in our past posts. throw them in the gallery if you want and then they want get lost in old post. then these new members were getting might see them. i still like lookin at those bear pics

#9 ·
Buckmastr - Nice pic. Your approach is clearly working for you. This pic gives new hunters the vision to not get discouraged. I have taken about 20 deer but alot were "flatheads for the freezer".

You say you move around alot. Are you toggling between various tree stands, ground stands or both. ( I hunt almost 100% of the time now from tree stands)

#11 ·
We all know how scents play a roll in hunting and we all have our own methods of controlling our scents,
I am really impressed with Bukmastr's post, I too am very scent conscience but it isn't a major concern for me either,,, here's why and I think Buckmastr will agree with me...
first of all I always use a human scent neutralizer before I enter the woods (Scent-away) I spray it on my jacket and pants, just enough to say I used it. sometimes (depending on the level of Rut) I will also use tinks 69 on my boots, now that works 2 ways, it covers my scent trail and will sometimes lure Deer in. But more importantly I concentrate on "WIND Direction" <--that I believe is the key element, If I think the Deer are in front of me, then I want that wind in my face at all times IF it isnt , I change my approach I'll circle around and come in from a different side.
The reason I don't get all anal about scent control is because everything has odors even the scent neutralizer has an odor but it does work neutralizing normal body/clothing scents... odors don't matter if you keep the wind blowing your scent away from the deer and not into them.
I'm not saying anyone should stop using their methods of scent control But I am saying if you keep track of the wind direction the odors won't be such a big concern. GOOD LUCK...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.