Deer Hunting Forums banner

Thinking about going over to archery.

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  addicted2hunting 
#1 ·
I have been hunting for a little bit now and like the looks of hunting in september. What are the advantages of switching to archery for deer? What would be a good bow to start with and what will I need? Thanks guys.:thumbup:

#2 ·
Depending in what area you are hunting sept hunting could be hot. I'm a late Oct, Nov bow hunter mostly for the rut. Archery is a whole new enjoyable experience. Most archers wouldn't trade their bows for gun hunting. Many archers simply use the bow, rifle, shot gun, ML to stay in the woods all hunting season. To say which bow would work best is just about any of the top makers would work for you. Seek out a bow shop, Bass Pro, Cabela's and shoot a few models and see what you like. practice is the key to success in archery. Good luck and welcome to the site.

#4 ·
I second that I would not trade my bow hunting for rifle if I had to
the biggest thing you need is Practice, Practice, Practice
also look at your state archery laws for what you intend to hunt example min. draw weight, broadhead size ect... before you buy anything most "name brand" archery equipment is going to be fine & comes down to personal preference but don't buy the cheapest thing you can find either
made that mistake on my very first bow & was not enjoyable & actually gave up bow hunting for a while but now with my new setup bow seasons don't come soon enough

Good luck & welcome

& yes most places I have hunted # of hunters drop of a ton for archery

#5 ·
I bow hunt to extend my season. Down south I do not do it a lot only because its usually hot and do not feel like fighting the bugs and the heat while in the stand.

Crowds are for sure smaller during bow though. I have a public spot down the road from me. During bow you may see a truck on the weekends but during the week I would have that whole place completely to myself. During rifle you would struggle to find a parking spot.

Welcome to the site.

#7 ·
Bow hunting offers a little bit more of a challenge. You have to do your homework to put yourself in a position to arrow a deer. I also like the fact that you can get in there and hunt them rutting bucks before gun season comes in. It allows you to get in the woods more often. Just getting into woods and watch the woods come alive is so relaxing and enjoyable. :thumbup:

#8 ·
bow hunting: it makes you a better hunter and brings nature up close and personal. Bow hunting allows me to play the chess game as I call it with a buck in his own territory. The best part is not at the time of the kill but everything it took to get there. Weather usually is pretty nice and during the rut you just never know when he might walk into your trap. Fall is the best time to be in the woods!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.