Deer Hunting Forums banner

Getting closer !!!

8K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  on_the_fly 
#1 ·
About time to pull out the decoys n knock the dust off. I need to sight my gun in, I changed out my scope to a different style dot scope. Now can change the dot from red to green (depending on lighting)

#5 ·
well i posted a few ago about swapping my scope out well today i pulled it out and sighted it in and took a few pics of the new an old scope. love the style much better on this one and easier to center dot on short timely shots. took off the BSA red dot and added the LEAPERS red dot, now i think i will keep the BSA for when i get the boy a better youth like the rem youth pump, camo, turkey in a 20 ga

Attachments

#7 ·
Well the BSA scope was on for 4 years and been in and out of the woods, put few boxes of 3 1/2 hv loads, and many of turkey in the freezer and never had any issues with the scope mount or scope. I only changed because the BSA has a reddish glair that turkey have busted me a few times if the sun was in their favor.

#9 ·
Hey this is gonna be my first year hunting turkeys and instead of a shotgun(20ga) do u think it would be ok for me to use my bow it is set at the most it can go 33#s i know its light but i can shoot accuretly to 30 yards you tink it could take one down at that range?

#10 ·
Yes it will but you must try for a broad Side shot so not only will you hit vitals you'll also pin the wings down to help prevent flight. Or you can buy gillatin broad heads that will give you a 6" leeway for neck shots but you would have to use arrows long enough that the broad heads stay out in front of your bow.

#14 ·
Yes they are huge & need to know they are made for taking a bird in the head not the body they also are not made for long distance I could be wrong but Ithink the affective range is like 15-20 yards max I just use one of my rage for strictly turkey hunting also check your states rules regarding min draw weight & broadhead use & good luck
Personally I think Bowhunting for turkey is a lot more exciting but I am taking both w/ me in case I get that Tom that hangs up out of bow range
Like last year

#15 ·
( gobbler Guillotine ) $44.99 3 pk 100gr is a 2.5" cutting area and the 125 gr is a 4" cutting area. and yes these are made for neck shots and as their properly named (guillotine) and like GF said 20 yards is about all you will get out of these because they grab a lot of air in flight and hard to get a true flight over about 20 yards

Attachments

#18 ·
Tics are becoming a problem for a lot of hunters in many parts of the country., Here's one one way you can treat your hunting spot to lessen the chances of being bothered by ticks during your turkey hunts...
You should be able to find a pesticide pump sprayer at your local garden supply store similar to this one
That along with a good mixture of Diazinon
or a good mixture of Dursban
will work really well and won't harm your hunting activities.

#19 ·
Forgot to mention that if you're having any problems at home with ticks or fleas on pets, treating your lawns the same way will help your pets.
This is how I always treat my lawns and you should switch back and forth between pesticides for maximum effectiveness.

#20 ·
Good info Bruce
never had a tick on me here till about 2 years ago now seems everytime I go out I have at least one on me

17 day's here till youth weekend 20 day's till reg. season starts

#23 ·
I've done that many of times, pass on an ok shot looking for a better one. Myself it's a personal ethical thing. I feel I try to insure I will harvest an animal and not faitily wound one I coundnt find. I've went empty harvest many of times because of it but I'm more comfortable knowing that I didn't pull a ( poke-n-hope) shot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.