Deer Hunting Forums banner

Shed hunting techniques

10K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Snack1941 
#1 ·
Anyone have anything they do special to find sheds? When I'm out searching for them the thought that constantly goes through my mind is "this is like finding a needle in a haystack".

What really ticks me off is watching those hunting shows and they find TRUCK LOADS of them. I'm talking 100's and 100's of them. COMON' REALLY <--- I yell :bag:

#4 ·
They find that many because they're at private deer farms. I bet there are some public places in this country where sheds are a little more plentiful but nothing like they show you on television.
Those "pros" find their sheds the same way they hunt their game, on fenced farms!
That hunting style is set far apart from what real hunting is all about, whether they're filming for shed antlers or game animals it's easier for them to make movies that way. :crazy:

G
#6 · (Edited)
Hi Deb,Saw your post

Hi Deb,Saw your post and got interested in your own hoibbt home existing in lil ol' Perth. Would love to come and see such awesome architecture in my native city.Any chance of coming to have a look at what you have built?I'm currently up in Exmouth, hoping to get land to embark on a project with a mate and I. We aim to have a few accommodations made from monolithic building practises, as well as a sunken amphitheatre made from earthbags. Our project is called Option B':Option B is unique tourist accommodation: an eco-friendly hostel/backpackers/camping area all rolled in to one, created from scratch and run with as minimal an impact on the environment as possible with a focus on educating guests of all walks of life about sustainable living practices and introducing them to the splendid surrounds of the Gascoyne region. Option B will endeavour to use natural resources (such as solar and wind generated power) for energy on site, as well as solely using recycled materials to build guest accommodations (converted caravans, train carriages, yachts and hoibbt homes') that are designed to aesthetically reflect a “green” business geographically located in an area with spectacular marine life and a plethora of water based activities nearby. Minimising water wastage will be a priority and made effective via grey water systems, compost waste solutions and self- sufficient gardens. Ample edible produce from our garden beds will be a task, to say the least, in Exmouth's harsh climate but it's a challenge we're looking forward to tackling. Whilst the business wouldn’t be “off-the-grid” or entirely self-sustainable, the concept that we hope would appeal to guests would be that of attaining as close to a carbon neutral option as possible while staying at our ‘homestay away from home’. Option B will provide a wealth of activities (and advice on activities) without stretching the visitor’s budget. We're aiming to (gradually over time) fine tune our approach to tourist accommodation that will hopefully develop a unique vibe on site and one day make Option B a tourist attraction/destination in itself set in the stunning surrounds of Exmouth, built and run by two enthusiastic West Australians who collectively hold over two decades of experience in the hospitality industry. My mobile is 0420 228 104 and email is . I'm back in Perth for a week in the middle of November. BR,Peteps. Jim awesome hoibbt home. If I'm ever in NY I'll definitely come visit!

#7 ·
Ronn I wasn't even going to reply to your post but I think it's best for me to shine light on your misunderstanding to what I posted.

If you Re-read the "Quote" and then Re-read my "REPLY" to the quote you'll see that the Quote AND My Reply was about televison shows not about Md., De., or New Jersey shed hunting BUT you might also notice that in my reply I said "I bet there are some public places in this country where sheds are a little more plentiful but nothing like they show you on television."

G
#10 ·
As I recall, Everyone is entitled to their own opinions,
If you dont like my opinions just ignore them. :wallbash:
this is the last i'll say on the mater.

opinions are one thing, you know what they say about them, but you stated it as a fact that all these truck loads of sheds comes from fence in areas which is not a true statement. then you took the time based on an untrue statement to belittle another hunter. so i called you on it. and i will call anyone on it if they trash another hunter pursuing his legal pursuits.

G
#11 · (Edited)
back on topic

the more i think about it tator.

seeing we don't have the deer pop to make finding sheds at least a little better, i do know that there is an island on the lake that use to have lots of deer on it and the boy scouts use to go pick up sheds here in nh. hunting is allowed there now so i'm not sure of the deer pop now.

the guys in md, del, and jeresy, find most of there sheds on properties that hunting isn't allowed. parks, areas of dense housing, and many people don't allow hunting deer but don't have a problem with people looking for sheds. or on QDMA properties just like the properties the pros find their sheds on.

then there are the pro's places, like lee and tiffany's, the kiskey's, and the drury's farms. which are sanctuaries and the deer will stay there, not need to, or want to leave.

the common thread here is areas that are protected form hunting, which the deer will find.

do you have any places like that in your area that you can gain access to?

#12 ·
Yeah, I have about 50 acres of woods that I didn't hunt this year b/c it has a 2 creeks that completely incircle it and we had a wet fall (creeks were up). The only bad thing is, my father-in-law had alot of logging done in there this winter and now there are tree tops and branches EVERYWHERE. Makes shed hunting next to impossible.

G
#13 ·
Yeah, I have about 50 acres of woods that I didn't hunt this year b/c it has a 2 creeks that completely incircle it and we had a wet fall (creeks were up). The only bad thing is, my father-in-law had alot of logging done in there this winter and now there are tree tops and branches EVERYWHERE. Makes shed hunting next to impossible.
ok i'll bet thats where you will find sheds for 2 reasons. one, no pressure could easlily put the deer in there, and two, a great deer call is a chain saw. they WILL find those tops and eat them. could have been their prime food source this past winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.