Deer Hunting Forums banner

.22 long rifle

23K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  Scorpion8 
#1 ·
The only gun I have to use to hunt whittail is a .22 long rifle. I was wondering if anyony has any suggestions on where to shoot the deer. Iv been told by several to shoot in the head. Also what type of ammo should I use? I was told to get one with a solid point. Please give me som advise. I was also looking for an inexpensive scope and ideas? :confused:

#2 ·
i dont even know if its legal to hunt deer with a 22lr .My advice is to get a real rifle

#4 ·
Well I believe that it's much too risky to try taking a deer with a 22. Is there any possibility of you getting a rifle with a little more power? Scope? I have a basic Bushnell scope that came with the rifle I purchased. I believe that it's the most simplest scope on the market.

#11 ·
Whoever told you to use a .22 caliber rifle to hunt deer with is obviously very inexperienced to hunting and clueless on weaponry effectiveness.
The list of proper hunting caliber choices is long and backed by a history of hunting effectiveness.
For beginners my advice would be to buy a weapon which is suited for the game you're after.
For Deer, the .243 caliber is a great starting caliber anything smaller, in most cases, only causes the shooter to fatally wound animals
and end up in unnecessary hunting situations.
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.
Good Luck to you.

#14 ·
hahahaha too funny...

I think the main point everyone on here is making Dirt-guy, is this... now days when we hunt we want to take a deer or any animal ethically. I guess it's a maturing behavior we posess, but non-the-less, we want to ensure we kill the animal quickly and as pain-free was we can. That way when our children are asking us "Daddy, why is that deer hanging his head with all that blood coming out of it's head? Why is it running away so fast?" OR "Daddy, why is that deer limping off so far away, are we ever going to find him/her?" Don't know about you guys, but those are two questions coming from a child that I don't want to answer. I want the question "WOW why was that so loud Daddy?" "because son, it's a high powered rifle that is designed to kill the deer quickly instead of slowly".

#15 ·
All this talk brings me to the idea of bow hunting. Isn't that almost the same as using a .22? The deer just takes off and then you have to chase him down after an eternity of him running? That doesn't sound to humane to me. I have never bow hunted before but from what I see of it on outdoor shows, that is how it appears to me. Please correct me if I am wrong.

#17 ·
You are right there lafromla 1, but I would have to ask 1 question. Which makes a bigger wound opening the .22 or the broadhead??? I have never shot a deer with a .22 before(and I don't aim too.) I have shot a possum with a .22 cal. and the wound opening was no bigger than a nickle. I shot one a while back using some Carbon Express broadheads and the hole was about 1 and a half in wide. I think the broadheads would do more damage.

#19 ·
First off the bowhunting remarks are ridiculous any well placed double lung shot the deer is runnind dead and will pile up sometimes under 10 yards.Any bad shot be it bow or gun is gonna cause problems whether its a 30/06,slug, or broadheads.People are either not proficient with there weapon or take bad shots they have no business taking.But in hunting sometimes bad shots do occur but thats part of it and you have to accept it.

#24 ·
Point taken. I wasn't trying to cause a controversy over the ethics of bow hunting, just point out an observation. I do admit that I have never bow hunted nor have I seen it in person actually performed. Every show I have seen has had the deer run off for some length, but if you tell me that with a properly placed shot (similar to rifle hunting) that the deer will fall in a short amount of time, then I am ok with that.

#20 ·
Please upgrade to something that hits harder

Yes Deer have been killed with a 22 Long Rifle cartridge but none of us would recommend it unless we were in a survival situation. Selecting a used rifle or shotgun firing slugs is decision that you will not regret. If money is tight don't be in a hurry to find something. Single shot rifes and shotguns are not expensive new, and very inexpensive used.

Karl

#21 ·
The 22 was always consider a small game/plinking bullet. Only the poacher uses it for deer. Every state should outlaw it's use for deer if not already. Quick kill shots regardless of the weapon used is the goal of every ethical hunter. To even slightly consider the 22 for deer causes me great discomfort.

#26 ·
Bow kills are based upon maximum hemoraging (spell) through the severing of vital organs and associated plumbing. There will be a lag time between the hit and death, which varies with the shot hit position. Some broad head shots will drop a deer in it's tracks such as a front spine hit other shots simply need additional time to render death. My best honest view says, good solid broad head hits usually results in death quickly, 10-20 sec, with an average travel distance of 20-40 yds. I've always believe a double lung broadside hit is the best archery shot, followed by a heart shot, others may disagree with this but this is my best take on the subject. Probably should put this in the archery post/forum but it came up here.

#36 ·
You might want to check and make sure it is legal in your state first. Some states require that you use a minimum grain bullet or caliber of gun.

However, that being said, I know my grandpa took down 2 deer by shooting them behind the ear back in the "Glory Days".

I love .22 and enjoy shooting them, plus with ammo prices getting as high as they are, it is always a good choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.