Deer Hunting Forums banner

New Powerbelt Aerolite in the CVA Wolf

15K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  frontiergander 
#1 ·
Finally was able to get the Wolf out today. Beautiful warm weather, T shirt weather actually.

I started with some 300gr Aerolite Powerbelts, 100gr Blackhorn209 "71gr Weight" CCI 209M primers. 100 yards.
First and second shots are touching and #3 went off a bit.

1- 3/8" center-center

Switching over to the 250gr Aerolite Powerbelt and the same powder charge as before.

7/8" Center-center

And no BS, We have about 6 to 12" of snow on the ground and it was 72* yesterday and today its 60*.

T shirt weather i tell you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Second trip to the range

Went out to the range again even though the wind was horrible. I had gusts so bad that it took my rifle case and threw it half way down range.

I also threw some 100gr blackhorn209 and 250gr Aerolite Powerbelts down range as well.

Im not sure what it measured center to center but a new 2010 penny covers it. "Turned out to be 1/4" center to center"

I didn't have a pass out feeling today after i squeezed off the 3rd and final shot, just almost puked LOL. I was looking through the scope and when the smoke cleared i was like WTF, did it cut another hole in the center of the last 2 shots?

Cool down baby! It matters. It gave it around 3 minutes to cool down between shots.

#5 ·
Yeah they are a good ML'er.

The Aerolites use a copper coating and then the other "graphite" looking coating you see on the outside of the bullet.

I havent been to impressed with the bullets performance when shooting into sand and wet news paper but before i make a final decision, i put in for a new mexico deer tag to see if i could test one of these bullets out on a big boy down there.

First testing on video:
YouTube - Powerbelt Aerolite 250 Testing

#13 ·
tc pimped their name big time with all the tv ads and so they seem to be the best but there really is no best. The best is the rifle that shoots what you need it to shoot and what fits you best.

My $170 wolf gives rifles that cost 10x the money than i paid a real hard run for their money.

#14 · (Edited)
TC didn't pimp anything! They simply, without question, built the best ML on the market for many years while others were building and selling cheap kit guns. TC products will still run with the best and be worth more down the road, and that's a fact. I'm not downing any product out there and I have said here many times, purchase what you like, just don't spread the bull, it never smells good no matter how you serve it.

Sorry to have gotten off subject here.....

#15 ·
lol everyone on tv shoots a tc, its pimping basically.

TC right now is getting gutted out by Smith and Wesson and now theres a rumor about S&W selling the TC brand over to Remington, minus the barrel making equipment.

When you advertise like they do, of course you're going to make people think they are the best, thats why they market their rifles so much. Flood the TV shows and commercials and bingo!

A bow company does the same thing, i got the name on the tip of my tongue but danged if i can say it. Hate when that happens!

#17 · (Edited)
Its odd though.. You put the brands Matthews and TC down but yet I dont really know anyone that owns these brands and complains about them failing etc. When the consumers have no complaints the brand gets recoginized for being one of the best.

I should probably throw this out there. I dont own a mathews. Its a Hoyt. But Ive never heard complaints about them (mathews) and therefore would not be scared to buy one.

However I do own a T/C and am happy with it. I have never felt the need to build them up repeatedly on various forums over the net. You must be one bored individual.

#18 ·
When someone seeks info on a product it would probably be best to let them know of the many choices they have to choose from and not just try to jam one particular brand/model at them, be it muzzleloaders or turkey calls.
Huntingman and I have poked fun at each other on muzzleloader brands for quite some time now but that's all it amounts to, it's just harmless fun between him and I, his preferred brand will kill deer dead as good as my my preferred brand and vice-versa and so won't any of the other brands.

The best answer to product make/model questions are the answers that let the buyers decide on what they want to choose and not what we want them to choose. I hammer the features, accuracy & price of my preferred muzzleloader brand,,, BUT,,, I also point out that "Other" manufacturers make muzzleloaders of equal quality and accuracy some are even competitive on pricing.
So the best answer to which muzzleloader to choose shoud be,
There are several muzzleloader manufacturers all producing affordable, accurate shooting rifles. The best thing to do would be visit a local gun-shop and hold/feel, shoulder each one in your price range because after all YOU, the buyer are the ones who will develop the trusting & confident life-long relationship with YOUR weapons.

Don't let anyone try to tell you this "Brand" is better than that Brand because each manufacturer is producing quality, accurate and "SAFE" shooting weapons.
It all boils down to what features you prefer and in what price range you want to shop in.
Good Luck and many, many happy, safe hunting adventures !!! :w00t:

#20 ·
BB, well said. You and I have some years behind us and know some ML history at least since the 70's. However, even though I favor TC products, like many here, I own several brands, shoot and enjoy them too. Today many companies are competing for what once was a fairly limited market share for quality ml guns. As a testament to market variety, right here at this site, members report on their preferences and quality of their purchases. I enjoy the debate you and I have (TC vs Traditions) and appreciate fair reviews across the ml spectrum from all sources, I just don't like incorrect information posted which has absolutely no factual history to back it up. I never understood how anyone could say a certain product only sold because of hype and over advertising. I think most people would in short order be able to sort out fact from fiction and sales would plummet. That didn't happen with either TC or Mathews or for that matter any company that's still in business. Long winded this afternoon, I guess, and got my tail feathers ruffed up again! Shame on me I should know better by now. :ph34r:

#21 ·
Frontier heres it is plain and simple thats total bs.Mathews does have alot of advertising but is that why there bows sell?Your gonna tell me Matt Mcpherson didnt make alot of innovations in the archery world and its not a quality product.A bow company or any company doesnt stay in business on advertising alone.I dont own a TC but do they stay in business on advertising alone.Dont you think they might make a quality product? Just because you endorse cva or whatever dont make blanket statements.If you had the number one archery company you can afford to advertise doesnt that make sense.Im a mathews shooter but there are many fine bows (hoyt,pse,bowtech,elite,etc) i dont try to ram mathews down anybodies throat.In any weapon find one you like and go with it.Just dont insinuate companies can sell a product on advertising alone cause thats nonsense.

#25 ·
If "Assembled in America" keeps Americans employed,, I wouldn't hesitate to support their efforts by buying and using their products.
Failing to support a company that operates within the United States only promotes greater unemployment for American workers.
Of course we would all prefer American made logo's on everything we buy but in the real world that's just a fantasy.

#23 ·
I just checked out the cva web site and those guns look pretty goo also. I think its going to be the impact or omega z5. I want to buy American! I have a hoyt bow and i love it. Advertising will only go so far, you have to make a quality product to keep people happy.Hoyt has done that and it looks like TC has done the same. Does anyone know why the omega is considered a better gun than the impact?

#28 ·
Muley, I don't care how good TC weapons were/are, you cant blame the consumers because of Thompson Centers poor business practices along with the illegal hunting activities of the
"sole proprietor owner and then Thompson/Center Arms President and CEO Gregg Ritz's"
fines paid out for game violations and I don't know if that had a role in their demise but sure doesn't do their product name or reputation any good.

When a company falls to greed, over-spending on advertising and just poor business practices, it's usually just a matter of time before any company operating within those lines reaches it's breaking points but no matter what happens within a business you can't blame the consumers.

#29 ·
just joined

Yours is the first post I read as I am looking for a good muzzleloader forum... seems you know your stuff and I can learn from your posts.

I justed purchased an Accura, shooting 245 power belt, 777 pellets, and Win. muzzleloader 209 primers... first shot is always off, after that seems to be on... I still need to find out my groups when weather breaks.

#30 ·
Yours is the first post I read as I am looking for a good muzzleloader forum... seems you know your stuff and I can learn from your posts.

I justed purchased an Accura, shooting 245 power belt, 777 pellets, and Win. muzzleloader 209 primers... first shot is always off, after that seems to be on... I still need to find out my groups when weather breaks.
Very common. Some muzzleloaders need a fouling shot in order to shoot dead on. I personally think its due to a bit of oil in the barrel.

I also think you'd be MUCH better off with the Winchester 777 primers or the CCI Inline MZL primers.

I'll PM you a link on how to properly adjust the head space to keep the inside of your frame SPOTLESS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.