Deer Hunting Forums banner

shooting house

14K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  gatodoc 
#1 ·
My deer season just ended and am making preps for next season. lol. Started construction on a shooting house. Base is 4' x 6'. is up on 4" x 4" x 12' posts. They base is pretty much done. Everything is screwed together for easy disassembly so i can transport it to the lease. gonna start on the walls and roof this week. Have to disassemble the base first. lol. (my eyes were bigger than my backyard. lol ) will update with new pics as i progress.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
i am trying something alittle different. have my taller wall on the back with a door. being a taller guy (6'-3") i hate getting into shooting houses and have to get on my knees to get in the door and in the seat. so i am sloping my roof forward and leaving a pretty good overhange in the front.

#13 ·
It'd be neat if you could find some old insulation somewhere and insulate the thing!

Years ago I knew a guy who built something like this, but he cut a hole in the floor in the corner of it and somehow underneath the stand put a 5 gal bucket that attached to the outside floor of the bottom of his stand. Well, on the inside, he had an old toilet lid/seat and built a little stool about 3 ft off the floor and well you know... the rest is history! hahaha

#16 ·
tator -- i used 3/4 plywood for the floor. The walls are all built with 2" x 2" skinned with 3/8" plywood. But part of my design, which will be more evident when i take it apart, is that i overlapped the plywood. left an overlap at the bottom to catch the base, and an overlap on the sides to catch the front and back wall. the framing for the roof, actually sits down inside the walls. I wanted everything to go smooth when out in the woods for assembly. So with some forethought, everything on mine should line right back up and be square when assembled.

#20 ·
that's pretty clever, how you have the windows opening on that string like that... never thought of doing something like that. Here in MO you can have a sealed up house but those doggone wasps will still get in... those orange lady bug things are horrible here too! not this past year so much, but the past 3-4 years HORRIBLE! they swarm your house in the thousands if not millions. Anyone else have trouble with them stinking (literally) bugs????

#21 ·
I don't know if it's true or not but I heard if you hang a BlueBird house near your blind and attract blue birds the wasps will stay away or the BlueBirds will control them, I don't know how true it is but might be worth trying.

#24 ·
I don't know if it's true or not but I heard if you hang a BlueBird house near your blind and attract blue birds the wasps will stay away or the BlueBirds will control them, I don't know how true it is but might be worth trying.

I bet that's right brucebruce... blue birds are mean (dominate) acting towards other birds, so I bet wasps don't challenge them either.

#22 ·
The lady bugs are terrible in Virginia as well, I heard that farmers up there are turning them loose to help control other parasites in there crops. We hunt from a similar box blind at my buddies place up there and he took a thin felt weather stripping and stapled it around his window frames to make a seal to keep out wasps and other bugs. Before he did this his floor was covered with bugs that died after it turned cold.

#23 ·
rackcollector--- yeah that's what I heard about them bugs too, farmers are using them. They sure are a nuisance though. My dad actually found some sort of mix you can add w/water and spray it on your house and those lady bugs will stay away for around 2-3 months. They won't get into your house either. The mix is totally safe for all siding on houses. If I remember right, it's kinda pricey though. I think around $40 for a bottle of it,,, but there's alot in it.

#28 ·
Looks great. Nice invention on your string controlled windows. As long as the string doesnt dry rot to quick.

Good luck with the wasps.

Tator we have the lady bug problem over here as well. Just like you said it wasnt as bad this year. In previous years I have had to go around the house with a vacuum and suck the stupid things off my ceiling. Did this about every other day for about 2 weeks till they die.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.