Deer Hunting Forums banner

Deer Movement In Wind?

9K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  richthom 
#1 ·
Will deer move if the wind is blowing hard? My dad seems to think no. what do ya'll think?

#2 ·
Usualy around here they will move if in ridge bottoms and the no wind side of hills and only in a windy area only to cross from one bottom to another and usualy in a fast hopping trot when crossing. Deer relay on their sence of smell almost too much and it's harder for them to tell what's what in higher wind, so to say they don't move on windy days is unlikely but to say they try to stay in areas of lower air movment on higher windy days would be more what area you would need to set up on. That's why it's important to have a few stand locations in your hunting area so you can a just to their changes in the weather , n your wind placement

#4 ·
I'm by far no expert on deer movements, but I do know this about the deer here in central TX - when the wind is blowing hard here, I've learned not to even bother going out since I have yet to see any deer moving around in it.

I do agree with what was said about the deer relying on their sense of smell. Their smell receptors are better than a dog and they use that to stay alive.

#6 ·
Deer In Wind

It's been my experience that deer move very little at all under windy conditions. It seems they like to be sheltered from it just like people do. I feel there are two GOOD options in the wind. If you have the manpower you can put on a drive or there's my personal favorite, still hunting. The wind cuts down the deer's ability to hear you moving.:yes:

#7 ·
I still disagree w/most of you. Deer will still move, but they are much more cautious,,, therefore they smell much better and hear much better. That is why you never see them. On windy days, it's best to be in a blind or WAAY up high in a tree (which I don't recommend for obvious reasons). Deer still get up and move around, but the chances of you seeing them is limited.

#8 ·
Wind alone will not stop deer from moving. I've seen deer moving many times in high winds, I used to think the same thing that deer got on their bellies during high winds but over the years I learned it wasn't true BUT when you combine wind with other weather conditions like extreme cold or heavy rainfalls then you've got a different situation, under those conditions Deer will more than likely always be found bedding.

#9 ·
Deer still have to do basic things like getting water, feed. Their movements are less and they are on high alert because the wind disrupts sense of smell. Things are always moving in high winds and again this causes them to be nervous as #2 sense is not great, then hearing is not as good so #3 sense makes for some nervous deer. I seem to always resort to slow stalking when winds are up and seems like I kick them up from beds???

#10 ·
I agree with this take on deer and wind. In my experience, deer do move less during windy days for the reasons Hunting Man has listed. Basically, ALL of their senses are negatively impacted by wind. Yes, deer have to eat no matter what the weather, but they can hole up during windy days just like they can during big snow storms.
I do agree that they get more cautious as Tator stated: "they are much more cautious,,,", but I don't agree when he says, "therefore they smell much better and hear much better". This sounds like they can dial up their senses in bad conditions - this is not physically possible.

#13 ·
i think if a turkey could smell like a deer and a deer see like a turkey. then it would probably be rare to harvest either one of um !!! windy or not we all would be hunting field eges with a 400 yard shot or longer :thumbup: but i have seen many many times deer useing the turkeys sences and fallowing aproxamently 30 mins behind them, in my opinion their useing the turkeys as a first alert.

#15 ·
I think Deer use all sorts of animals to help them. I have seen Deer watch cows as well. Cows will watch anything moving (me) and if every eye of a cattle herd is looking one direction, deer know that something is going on in that direction. I agree with onthefly as well... in many of my trail cam pics, I have turkeys show up and about 10-45 min later deer show up. I also take a crow call w/me to the field as well b/c deer know that crows are going to crow if there's a predator near by.

#17 ·
saw deer moving this year in some heavy winds, but they were very tense. With everything in the woods moving, their sense of sight and hearing are hampered. Also if anyone one remembers, last season i talked about using turkey decoys during deer season, seems to calm deer down prior to entering a foodplot. Used it again this year with great success.

#20 ·
Ok thanks for all the opinions.. now i got another Question.. I just bought about 5 acres of land me and my brother scouted it the other day. we found a half a dozen or more rubs(this years).. i'm kinda new to deer hunting but after this years hunt i'm hooked..:biggrin: anyways what i need to know is, what should i consider when finding a spot to place my stand?

#21 ·
well those rubs are a good start. I would check for trails and possibly get some trail cams set out that way you can pattern where the deer are coming from and traveling through. unfortunately, those rubs are useless for this season b/c the bucks are marking their territory like they were during the pre-rut and rut. plus, bucks rub those trees to get the velvet off their rack each year. I once heard someone say that the velvet starts to itch them when it starts drying out.... then they go crazy trying to get it off.... that's why rubs are sometimes kinda violent looking!

#23 ·
ok tator im gonna disagree with you on the rubbing. I use to think the same way. but after resurching and reading studdies and and other web finding buck do not rub trees to remove their velvet.. their velvet will fall off all by its self as the horns mature, yes rubbing does help remove the velvet but the only purpose for a deer rubbing a tree is for a (work out) its part of their breeding that by intemidation to other bucks by the size of their necks. ( just as beard size to tom turkey in spring) thats why deer are still rubbing trees well after their velvet is gone. and its usualy concetrated to their breading areas in what we call rub lines. and is usualy around close to a scrape area, its kinda like a dog pissing on every fence post around his dog house. and also a good tell on a good guesstament on the size of the deer by the size of the tree's the deer is rubbing on

#24 ·
ok tator im gonna disagree with you on the rubbing. I use to think the same way. but after resurching and reading studdies and and other web finding buck do not rub trees to remove their velvet.. their velvet will fall off all by its self as the horns mature, yes rubbing does help remove the velvet but the only purpose for a deer rubbing a tree is for a (work out) its part of their breeding that by intemidation to other bucks by the size of their necks.
I agree but like I said... I just heard that somewhere that the velvet starts to itch them and they try to rub that off while they rub. I guess I didn't word it right.... I didn't meant to say that was the only reason they rubbed... they leave scent when they rub as well. and yes, it's true by rubbing they get more stronger and it is a sign to fellow bucks in the area that his is MY area. Just like scrapes... onthefly..sorry i re-read what I wrote and didn't mean it the way it sounded... by bad! :crazy: <---me

#25 ·
Buck rub lines generally indicate the travel routes and be a really great bonus if they coincide with scrape lines later in the fall. Bucks transfer scent from their foreheads to the trees and yes communicate to others of their territory. I really believe the itching thing is an old wives tale. I use rub lines to locate buck travel routes and then look for scrape lines during the rut to pin point them. These seem to go hand in hand. I also believe in the sign post rub as the calling card of a really mature buck saying get out of my place! As far as stand locations, you will need to determine fall wind directions, fall travel corridors, food supply if possible in adjacent properties, potential water sources, and put the puzzle together for a good stand location. You may want to locate additional stand locations as things change.

#28 ·
Deer in a snow storm

#29 ·
It's been my experience that deer will move, just very cautiously as tator said. One tool that I find very helpful when hunting deer in windy conditions is consulting this website called ScoutLookWeather.com

They have these 2 features called ScentCone and SetZone that map any treestand or hunting spot to see the wind for 72 hours. I can then compare locations and select one based on wind shifts and speeds during my hunt. I then know where and how to set my treestands to best play the wind of the day.

It's helped me on several deer hunts to anticipate better. I know this didn't 100% answer the original question but I hope it helps ya'll on your next hunt on a windy day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.