Deer Hunting Forums banner

Wild Game Brine

11K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ziggy 
#1 ·
One of the things I've learned about cooking game is that the blood doesn't taste good. If you're trying to get someone to like deer, one of the worst things you can do is slap a bloody deer steak on the plate. If you soak the meat in a brine, it'll take out most of the blood and replace it with a slightly salty tatse that is much better.

I've also learned the importance of not overcooking the better cuts of most game animals. Rare to medium-rare is the key. I learned alot from a guy called The Sporting Chef. He has his own TV show and cookbook. His website is HuntFishCook - Home.

I've tried making jerky a bunch of different ways, but still am not too happy with the results. I'm thinking of buying a dehydrator. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
nice site i added that one to the favorites list:yes:

G
#4 ·
why?

Why all the fuss about venison? It is one of the most flavorfull, nutritional meats available! Why all the concern about 'gamey' taste??? I have been eating venison for 40 years, and I can't recall any incidence of any 'gamey' taste. That includes deer harvested from the U.P. of Michigan to the southern valley of Texas. So. What do you do? You gut your deer immediately after shooting it. You gut it properly. You ensure that you get it cooled down as soon as possible (e.g., pack stomach cavity with ice after gutting), and get it to your PROFESSIONAL processor, ASAP, so it can be aged properly before butchering. Ensure that you choose your processor (or, if you butcher it yourself, you know what you are doing), wisely. Then, you take your meat home and cook it much the same as you would cook beef, unless you prefer a more rare venison, in which case you remove from heat a little sooner than you would beef. End of story. It really sickens me to hear of all these suburban housewife recommendations about 'gamey' meat, when, in reality, the fault lies in the cleaning/processing, NOT in the natural condition of the meat!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.