Deer Hunting Forums banner

Catfish Pond

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  tator 
#1 ·
Am converting a farm pond over to a catfish pond. Would like to figure out a way to harvest the catfish without too much trouble. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
i dont know if catfish are stocked. but if they are i agree that would be the easyest way to do it. if you cant buy them there are other ways. the catch somewere elce and reliece in your pond will help. another way i can think of is. when i was a kid i remember swimming in newfound lake hear in NH. in the summers i would se black spots one the bottom of the lake in about 3 ft of water. when i stuck my head under i would find that the black spots were a small swarm of hundereds of baby cat fish. smaller than tad polls all together. at this point i could turn over rocks in our jettys and find and catch them there by the dozens. mabee you could use that way to catch tons of them for your pond.

#5 ·
if you want fingeling size to add and not grown fish. around here our local southern states takes fish orders and have a truck that comes once a year in the spring. real cheap and you just have to bring a cooler or something on their delivery date to pack fish home in. might be an option in your area too,

#6 ·
Check with your department of conservation in your state. My father-in-law just had a pond (that used to be a farm pond) converted into a catfish pond and the Department of Conservation GAVE him all his catfish! Now granted, they weren't adult sized yet... But still! It wouldn't hurt to give them a call and ask about conservation grants or fish transplanting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.