Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Any deer hunters using slug guns?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up 12 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug

I hunt New Jersey and Delaware every year and use a 12 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug. I have taken 23 deer in my life - all with slugs. Early on I used a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and rifle sights but i found I was missing deer when I tried longer shots. When the Ultra Slug first came out I bought one and traded my Mossberg 500 in on it. I have never looked back. If I have learned nothing else in my life, I have learned that after the first shot is fired, the deer is almost always down or gone, so why worry about the second shot.

If your shots are always 50 yds or less, it doesn't really matter which gun you use but if you have the possibility of 100 yd plus shots get yourself a 12 ga. H&R UltraSlug and put a really good 3x9 scope on it. One more piece of advice is to spend the time and money to determine which sabot your Ultra Slug likes best . . . and it is very possible that gun to gun, the type and length will vary. This is an expensive proposition but if you are looking at a 10 pointer at 150 yds, you will wish you had!

I use a Nikon 3x9 Slughunter with the BDC reticule. I also own and use a good rangefinder and hunt exclusively from a tree stand at the edge of a field. For me, this is a combination that can't be beat. My farthest shot to date has been 146 yds ranged. That 7 point (as well as every other deer since getting my Ultra Slug) has dropped where they stood. I credit the gun but I also credit the 3" 12 ga. Winchester Partitioned Gold Sabots.

By the way, I hunt a friends farm in Delaware and he hunts my farm in NJ - we limit hunters to each other and immediate family. We both used to allow others to hunt our farms but carless fires and trash have caused both of us to restrict access as I mentioned. It is a real shame that a few have to ruin it for all!

Last edited by OldPhart; 12-27-2010 at 09:52 AM.