Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Radishes
Thread: Radishes
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 PM
B&C 180 Class

I plant turnips. They are very cheap and you get alot for your money. I usually do about 1/4 acre spots. I have about 200 acres I hunt, and this past year I think I planted 4 plots this way. They love the greens this time of year and when it starts snowing, those deer will rip the ground apart to get at them bulbs. The only problem is my turnips didn't turn out as well this year as in the past. The greens only got about 3 inches high and stopped.... better luck next year, i hope

Here's a tip for people who want to plant turnips. The seeds are so small that sometimes a spreader doesn't work as well. What I do is get two 5 gallon buckets and fill one up with loose dry dirt. As I shovel in dirt in the one bucket, after every scoop I put a hand full of turnip seed in, till the bucket is full. Then take the bucket and pour it into the empty one and repeat this about 10+ times until you can see that the turnip seed is mixed in well w/the DRY dirt. Then take that one bucket to your plot and while walking use your hand and toss it out. You'll get better coverage this way plus you don't want to plant turnips too deep.. only about 1/4-1/2 inch below surface. So the dirt you are spreading out helps with this as well.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by tator; 12-07-2010 at 03:27 PM.