Deer Hunting Forums banner

new to hunting

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  LAHunter 
#1 ·
i am new to hunting this is my first year! i am 24 about 200 lbs and was wondering what kind of gun i should use. I have experienced hunters that i will be going with but i would like to have my own equipment. any help would be grateful.

#2 ·
welll.....if you intend to go deer hunting i would suggest a .30-06 but if you are in a shotgun only area, then use a 12 gauge....its very versatile and it could be used for almost anything...

nick

#5 ·
any rifle you choose will easiilly make it out to there. My advise would just to be see which one you like. If ur hunting thicker cover i would say like a 30-30 but if its more open go with a more flater trajectory.

#7 ·
Caliber Choices

A Marlin 30/30 is very versatile at ranges up to 200 yards, especially with the new Hornady LeveRevolution rounds that I've heard so much about. I'm anxious to try them out this year. A .243 is great for deer, but not if you want to hunt something bigger later on. It's a tossup (personal opinion here) whether a .270 or a .30-06 is the better all-round cartridge for small to medium sized game. (Like my father-in-law, he swears by the .270 that he used to use in CO for hunting elk.) Folks can argue this subject for days!

My wife paid about $165 for an old Russian sniper rifle that's about 70 years old. Don't let the age of the rifle kid you, it's still as accurate today as it was when it was made. Mosin-Nagant 7.62 x 54. It came only with open sights, but that's what I learned on when I was in the military. Just look in the gallery and you'll see a 9 point that I got with it.

It's not how much the weapon costs, it's what you can do with it that counts. My two cents worth for the day.

RR :coffee:

#11 ·
i agree with the range comment.you are doing yourself and the deer a disservice by not being proficent with your firearm of choice.Best to get some range time in with some different guns pick the one you like best and practice.

#12 ·
For the best combination of effectiveness / cost, a Marlin 30/30 is hard to beat. It'll work great under 200 yards, and is good when you're in heavy cover. It also has really mild recoil, a plus if you're new to shooting.

Personally, I use a Savage 110 30-06. It's about all the gun you'd ever need between here and Canada.

Like the other posters said, whatever you choose be sure you put some rounds through it, aside from just sighting in the sights / scope. Familiarize your self with the action, and take shots like you would while hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.