Deer Hunting Forums banner

Remington 870 Express

22K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  Unregistered 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking to get an 870 Express in the relatively near future. I've been doing some looking around on the net at known issues and the only one I really have found is the issue of shells being stuck in the chamber after firing. Most have said it was because they were using cheaper shells (Wally-World stuff) and the brass was expanding into the machining grooves of the chamber. They typically suggest honing out the chamber with some steel wool wrapped around a bore brush, using gun oil as a lubricant. Attached to a drill, they claim it works quite well.

So, to get to the point, has anyone bought an 870 recently and had this issue? Would an issue that could be solved this quickly turn you away from a product without second thought?

I would like to use the shotgun for a variety of things such as duck, goose, small game, dove. Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

#2 ·
I have the Rem. 870 Express 12ga., I've never had any issues with mine and I know of a lot of other people who own the Rem.870 express also,
none of them have ever had any problems either.
the Rem. 870 express has a great reputation, I would say it's a great choice. Good Luck

#3 ·
no worries

please dont believe everything in them forums and for the life of me dont take a drill with a chamber brush to anew 870.what you read is complete nonsense.millions of 870s have been sold and furthermore it being a pump dam near impossible to jam.

#4 ·
Spiker, while you're right that alot of stuff shouldn't be taken at face value on the net, I've read from no less than a dozen websites that when certain shells are fired from this shotgun, the brass expands into the grooves of the chamber, thus making it difficult to pull back the slide to eject the spent shell. I also said in no way that I was going to be doing any honing in the chamber. That's something that I know would be better left for a gunsmith.

I've used an older 870 before and I loved it. The only reason it malfunctioned was because my father didn't clean it accordingly before I used it for the first time. I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this issue with the newer models of 870's.

#5 · (Edited)
I didn't want to post this until I was replied to but I emailed Remington about this issue and already received a response.

My first email:

To Whom it My Concern,

I have been considering making a purchase of a Remington 870 Express but after doing some online research, I am puzzled by the claims of some customers. The users claim that when they shoot a variety of ammo from these shotguns, they fail to eject due to the brass expanding into the machining grooves of the chamber. I was hoping you could shed some light on this issue before I decide to spend the money on one of your products. I look forward to your response.

His response:

Chris,

What happened here is that we have identified an issue that one of the chamber reamers used to cut the chambers was dulled prematurely and cut some chambers with chatter at the rim if the chamber. This burr was causing some shells to stick when fired. This issue was identified and corrected a couple of months ago and we are correcting the issue with the owners who are having the problems on a case by case basis. The fix is a very simple polishing, under warranty of course, by one of our warranty repair centers. The reamer issue has been identified and resolved however so new production guns going out now will not have this issue, but there may be some guns out there that are older and may have this issue, it didn't happen with ever gun produced in the timeframe, but should you run into an issue with it on a gun purchased we are more than happy to correct the issue for you right away

My response:

Daniel,

First of all, I thank you for your response. I appreciate it. As far as the issue with the chamber, that makes me feel more comfortable about the idea of purchasing one of these firearms. If you don't mind, I will be saving our correspondence for the future in case I do have an issue with one of these shotguns. It's not that I don't take your word, I've just heard that some people had this issue and had difficulties getting it covered under warranty. Please, don't feel insulted. I just want to make sure all my bases are covered in such an instance. Again, I appreciate your response to the matter and will hopefully be purchasing an 870 in the near future!

Chris

His final response:

no problem,

in fact, save the e-mail, and if you do need any assistance, just give me a shout personally. I'll be happy to take care of it myself

So, it my be kind of pointless for me to post this but you never know. Hopefully, if someone someday faces the same situation, they can do a search and see there is some light at the end of the tunnel. After I make the purchase and throw some rounds through it, I will post any issues with the chamber and if they honored it under warranty like they claimed they will.

#6 ·
About 5 years ago I bought an 870 express 20 gauge combo with the bird barrel and rifled slug barrel for like $475 out the door. I've taken quite a few deer with the slug barrel and rabbits with the bird barrel, even a couple turkeys. The action might be a tad rough out of the box but it smooths up real quick. Usually when people say that shells stick in the chamber there is a burr. I didn't have that problem but I've read about it, it would be an easy fix so it doesn't really bother me. It's a great shotgun.

#7 ·
Thanks Wisconsin. Most of the stuff I read was actually from a couple of years ago, and that's why I decided to email Remington themselves. I couldn't find anything about the issue being remedied. I'm happy with the response I received, and it doesn't exactly sound like he was just trying to tell me what I wanted to hear. He could have done that in less words.

G
#10 · (Edited)
Yeah I bet these bit

Yeah I bet these bitches think they are real cool until they try and get a real job and their empolyers find these pics and decide not to hire them. It's not legal quite yet people. Keep it under wraps unless you have a job that won't interfere with your love for the buddha. Taking pictures of yourself smoking weed is probably one of the dumbest things you can do. I guess it doesn't even matter, because half these bitches look fucking trashy and will probably never get a good job. Most look like they are either dying of aids or are 12 years old. If that's what you're into .

#11 ·
You're right Ronn, I couldn't have gotten a better response. That was one of the first times I've emailed someone on an issue I found BEFORE purchasing and they were straight up with me about it. I like to do my homework before I drop a couple hundred dollars on something only to find out that C.S. isn't exactly up to par.

Like I said earlier, I have used an older 870 and I loved how smooth it was and how well it handled. I'm looking forward to making this purchase and eventually getting it to smooth out and be a reliable piece of hunting equipment. Now if only the money would get here a little faster...haha

#12 ·
You cant go wrong with an 870. its a workhorse of a shotgun and I have used one for 24 years and never had a single issue, ever. And I have cycled cheap shells from time to time.

#13 ·
Well, I figured I would give you guys an update. I visited a shop in my area and they only had the 870 in synthetic. Unfortunately, I was looking for a wood stock. The stock on the Remington is pretty ugly in my eyes so I took a look at their Mossberg 500's. Their stocks do not have the strongly pronounced wood grain like the Remington's do, rather they have a smooth, laminate finish. After talking with Brian, the shop worker who helped me, I walked out with a 500 in 12 gauge.

I did alot of research on the Mossbergs as well and the only issue that seemed to pop up frequently were with the shell stops. That I can deal with because it's not only covered under warranty but would not require me to send in the gun for repair. The Mossberg also came with a 10 year warranty as opposed to the Remington's 2 year warranty.

Finally, the Mossberg was priced well. Out the door, I paid $312. The Remington would have been the same price from Dunham's but with a $30 mail in rebate. Of course, that's $30 more I could have had back in my pocket. In the end though, I feel that either way I was making a solid decision, not to mention I gave business to one of the "little guys" and not a box store. The only thing I need to do is outfit her with a sling and, at some point, set it up to shoot some deer as well as waterfowl and other critters!

G
#15 · (Edited)
i have both the moss 500 and the rem 870. the 870 is a far superior gun (the 500 is not even in the same class. the remingtons will have a walnut stock where the moss have a beech or some other hardwood dyed to look like walnut.), but the 500 will get the job done. got to love bring home a new gun. hope you have great success with it.

#17 ·
I agree ronn, I have a couple of 870's and a mossberg, the Rem is the better gun but that's why they make mossberg, for those who don't want a remington. Years ago most police forces used mossberg 500 shot guns then switched to remington. On the mossberg there's a screw and a shell guide in the receiver that comes loose and has to be tightened every so often other than that its a reliable firearm. I think the model is a camo 835, not sure as the son has taken/stolen it from Dad's safe and uses it for ducks/geese. Congrats on your mossberg shot gun purchase.

#19 · (Edited)
I have two 12 guage 870 Express,one is a magnum the other is not,they are both about 20 years old and have been trouble free.I put a Hastings rifled barrel on the magnum soon after I bought it and just added a cheap (about $50) Tasco scope on it this summer.I have to admit the eye relief is a little short.Here is 3 shots at 100 yards with the new scope.

Attachments

#23 ·
I will.I got hit putting it on paper shooting rifled slugs.The Federal were all right but when I shot an old Breneke the scope hit me and cut me.When I put the cross hairs on whatever I'm shooting at I have to remember to back my eye up a little or else I might get smacked.Oh well,it will be worth it when the deer drops and the price I'll have to pay for buying a cheap scope.

#24 ·
Points very well taken. In the end, I did get what I REALLY wanted. At first, I was skeptical of the 500 but some research helped put my mind at ease (see last post for the shell stop issue). You never know, I may end up with an 870 at some point in time. We can never have too many firearms, right guys? :wink:

Anyways, I did get to shoot some clay pigeons with her this weekend and she performed quite well. I must have put about 150 shells through her and she never skipped a beat. Every shell fired and cycled just like it was supposed to and left me wanting to shoot her more. BUT, I'm in my senior year of college so the weekend had to come to an end.

G
#25 · (Edited)
Don't feel like a De

Don't feel like a Debbie Downer. I wanted to know the real deal. I relziae other people might have different opinions and yours is only one opinion but I relate to what you say so I'm going to tread carefully in that arena. I appreciate your candor on your blog! Actually I have unofficially sold for a couple of people and I feel a lot of pressure when I have their items sitting around and don't get on them soon enough. I don't like that feeling so that was the first thing I thought of when I considered being a Trading Assistant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.