Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Good Rangfinder???
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 PM
B&C 100 Class

I myself would like to get a range-finder as I am absolutely horrible at judging distances. My boyfriend told me that it would be an unnecessary expense. He explained to me that though most of the game I've shot has been under 100 yards, I would never try to shoot further if the range finder said the distance was more than 200 yards. Case in point-last year we had loaded some shells with 125 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter spitzers for shooting pronghorn(we usually shoot 150 grain bullets for deer). The 125 grain bullets would shoot straight and flat out to 200 yards. I had a herd of pronghorn come in front of me and my bullets were hitting the ground at their feet. I raised the rifle a bit and got my first pronghorn. Later in the day, my boyfriend asked me where I had been shooting from and where the pronghorn were, I showed him and he looked at me with a grin on his face. He then told me that it was a 300 yard shot. I was shocked. So now I am not thinking of getting a range finder any more thanks to what he calls my instinctive reaction to find a solution to hit what I'm shooting at. But I am also not afraid to push the envelope a little more thanks to my unexpected success.