Deer Hunting Forums banner

Remington Model 710 Safety Recall/Notice

18K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  schuckman11@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
Since I have a couple of Remington and Savage rifles, I periodically browse their websites. Browsing Remington's website today, I caught this message for those of y'all who own Remington Model 710's.

Hope y'all take a moment to check your's out!

Remington Arms Company, Inc. is voluntarily recalling a limited number of Model 710 bolt-action rifles as a result of its discovery, during routine test firing, that some Model 710 rifles manufactured between July and October 2002 may have been assembled with an improperly made "Safety Detent Spring." Although unlikely, there is a possibility that the manual safety arm mechanism in such a rifle could fail to fully return to the "safe" or "on" position.

If you own a Model 710 rifle please enter your serial number below to determine if your firearm needs to be inspected or repaired as part of the recall.

Here's the URL for their website --

710 Safety Notice

#3 ·
I have a 710 but like TG was not part og the recall. This is one gun that I highly regret buying but was all I could aford at the time (15 years old). I have numerous problems with it. It miss fires consistenly in cold weather. I contacted remington a year or so ago and all they did was give me the number of one of there recomended gunsmiths. This guy wanted $75 just to take a look at it. Thats a good chunk of what this gun is worth. Needless to say I will glady sell this rifle and put what I can get for it towards a nicer rifle. No hard feelings towards remington as i love my 870 supermag.

#4 ·
Call Remington on this one...

A previous poster posted this quote----Note the cost of 75 to fix it.

You should never have to pay for a fix on firearm from a major manufacturer that isn't firing as expected. Remington gave you this gunsmiths number, he should be paid by Remington to fix your rifle not by you. You bought an entry level rifle that they didn't advertise as junk, just affordable. This is my opinion but if it were my rifle I would be again talking to Remington and make it clear that you expect them to cover whatever costs are involved.

Karl

I have a 710 but like TG was not part og the recall. This is one gun that I highly regret buying but was all I could aford at the time (15 years old). I have numerous problems with it. It miss fires consistenly in cold weather. I contacted remington a year or so ago and all they did was give me the number of one of there recomended gunsmiths. This guy wanted $75 just to take a look at it. Thats a good chunk of what this gun is worth. Needless to say I will glady sell this rifle and put what I can get for it towards a nicer rifle. No hard feelings towards remington as i love my 870 supermag.

#5 ·
Mine as well was not in the recall.

Im with Karl on this "timetohunt". You should get some customer service from remington better than that.

Ive shot mine for about 5 yrs now and have never had any issues. Accuracy wise Im better with it over the bolt action, wood stock, remington model 700. Its just one ugly gun with a cheap ol trigger.

#6 ·
Its been a a year since I pursued this issue with my 710 but if I remember correctly they told me the gun only has a 2 year warranty which I believe is standard for Remington firearms. With 4 years of college in between with only muzzleloader hunting I easily passed that time without extensive use. There are some American hun companies (Knight, Tompson Center that I know will stand behind there products 100%) I'll have to refresh on thi rifle and see abuot taking it back up with Remington.

#7 ·
Just a thought on warantees

I know that there may have been a two year warantee on the rifle when it was new but failure to fire is a safety issue. It is an accident waiting to happen. I would point that out to them that this is as dangerous as a malfunctioning safety. A rifle on safe should not fire, pressing the trigger in fire should make it go off as advertised. You may also want to point out to whoever you talk to in customer service that you are talking about this on a couple of internet websites and none of the members are impressed by their lack of support on a obvious design issue.

Karl

Good luck with your problem....Years ago my Remington M3200 O/U would double, fire both barrels when I was only asking for one to go off. Needless to say Remington was NICE enough to fix the problem with the trigger.

#8 ·
Try this fella's, call first, Paducah Shooters Supply, 3919 Cairo Road, Paducah, Ky. 42001. Phone is: 877-772-3006. I have sent more than a few Remingtons back to them for repair, they are a factory authorized repair facility. We recently sent them a 710 that the trigger guard had busted off, (as you know that is an integrated part of the stock, nice design, huh?). Anyway, fully repaired, no questions asked. I have sent them 1100's, SP10's, a lot of different models. Not bad turn around time, not great but not bad.
If you bought the gun from a local dealer, they should be more than happy to ship it back for repair. I don't think Cabela's, Dicks or Academy will, but the smaller stores (like us) do it all the time. Contrary to popular belief, you can ship a firearm yourself to a licensed FFL dealer or repair facility. It does not have to shipped FROM an FFL dealer.

Good luck and after you get it fixed, see if you can find a good home for it, because it'll break on you again!

JohnP

#9 ·
I actually seen a t.v show on late last night about this issue. It was called Remington Under fire. They have documents from within the company that showed they were aware of the trigger issue, and the rifle firing without the trigger being pulled by switching the safety off. It, according to the show, has killed 23 people and injuring 117 people. I have a model 700 which was also being bashed on the show, and I have never had one issue with the rifle. Maybe I've just been lucky???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.