Deer Hunting Forums banner

Slugs And Buckshot: Comparison and Recoil?

32K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Mosin 
#1 ·
After My Cross-Country Practice, I decided to go to the nearest Farm And Fleet store. After picking up 50 pounds of whole corn for the upcoming rabbit season, I decided to test some ammunition for the upcoming Shotgun Deer season. I bought 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch Rifled Slugs and 12 gauge 3 inch 00 buckshot. I am curious to know what is better for a great sized deer, what will be a better accurate shot, and what recoil is worse. Is there anydifference between th recoil of regular shot or is it harder?

Thanks and God Bless.:confused:

#2 ·
they both kick pretty hard.i would use the slugs for deer hunting .they will drop the deer cleanly the buckshot you got to pick out shot might take more than one.save thebuckshot for home defense.Im sure some southerners might disagree:bag:

#4 ·
I agree to disagree hehehe j/k
Southerner<-----------
I think there are several factors for you to concider before making your choice.One would be your gun.Is it a slug gun with a rifled barrel?If so I would definately use the slugs.If not you may want to try both through the gun on targets placed in the ranges you expect to be seeing your deer.Personally I have taken many deer with buckshot and nary a one with a slug but I know Joel has taken many with the slugs and maybe none with buckshot. One idea I'd concider would be put a slug in the barrel and buckshot in the magazine in case a running follow up is needed.Hope this didn't mess ya up.
Good Luck,
Rock

#5 ·
i knew you southerners would disagree:smile:

#8 ·
Its all good as they say in the hood:biggrin:

#9 ·
I really think that most shooter/hunter do no realize the number of buckshot hunters in the Soutern tier of States.
You will hear little about them or about buckshot in the rag writers! Having spent my entire adult life working for the gun and ammo companies, I saw the amount of buckshot sales and inventories.
While buckshot loads have been improved some....there is still a great deal of improvement to be done. The major problem with today's buckshot is it is too soft....that's why the buffer is there!
Specialized loads can be put together by experienced reloaders using good buckshot (Hornady & Ballistic Products) that have been heat treated.....one hour at 450 degress and water quenched. This reduces deformation and makes for more penetration and bone busting.
Another trick is to load #00 in stacks of two, rather than stacks of three! This allows tigher chokes to come into play!
As for Foster slugs......sad but true...they run too soft and lead the barrel bad.
It amazes me to see the hunter/shooter looking to buy the cheapest ammo. You get what you pay for! Ammo is still a small part of the overall cost of hunting! Buy the best you can find!
Recoil.....slugs and buckshot recoil about the same as heavy turkey and waterfowl loads.
If you are going to shoot slugs, by all means put some sights on your gun! Tru-Glo has some great products!
Regards, James

#10 ·
Im new on here, so this is my first post ever. But anyways, I am a fan of the slug. I killed my first deer with a slug out of a 4-10. An eight point, and it dropped instantly. that was when I was about 8 though. Although I say I prefer the slug, I did fill my doe tag with a buckshot last yr. also the doe dropped instantly. That was from about 40 yrds. so I think you go with what you prefer.

#14 ·
I started out my younger years shooting #1 Buck but back then we was huntin with dogs and the deer would most likely be haulin butt when it came by so I liked having more pellets to sling at them.Now that we stalk or still hunt our deer I have switched to OO Buck.The difference being the amount and size of the pellets.You can look on any manufacturers website and get this information and they will include velocities and differences between the 2 3/4" or 3" or 3 1/2"
Be sure to check your gun and shoot the size shells it's designed to handle.

#16 ·
Here is one more thought, in most states the muzzleloader is legal when ever a shotgun is. I would use a scoped muzzleloader instead of a shotgun even though I had only one shot. One shot should be all you need and as we have already debated the newer muzzleloaders can out there pretty far. A few of my friends in North Carolina use shotguns with buck shot but they are hunting in swamps and shooting at close range and you can use the buck shot to kill all the nasty snakes that are trying to kill you.

#18 ·
My state is just like that. I would NEVER consider using a shotgun. Blackpowder all the way. You can shoot further and more accurately. If you are a good shot why would you consider anything else? Not trying to start something but think about it. Why shoot 4" to 6" groups when you can shoot 1" to 1 1/2" groups. Why shoot 100 yards when you can shoot 250 yards. It will open up a whole new world to you. Once again just an oppinion but I think I have made valid points. Besides I think they are more fun as well as make you a better hunter knowing there is one chance make it count.

#20 ·
Whitetailfever is right. If you chose a shotgun instead try to get a riffled barrel and a good quality sabot slug. They may not reach out that far but they will be the most accurate. I guess thinking about it a shotgun with a change in barrel would be more diversified. It is all in what you are looking for.

#22 ·
Buckshot....

New here but thought I would chime in. Being in Texas we can use any centerfire cartridge for deer. I have used slugs for a hog and it is very effective. This year I used buckshot because it was all I had to use. I was using standard 2 3/4 in 00 buck in 12 gauge. I was using a Mossberg patrol shotgun with 18 1/2 barrel with cylinder bore, no choke. Shot was at 20feet. All nine pellets hit the lungs and the deer dropped, kicked, and went nowhere. Though very effective only 2 of the 9 pellets exited. But at very close range, under 25 yards, buckshot is hard to beat, IMO......

#23 ·
hey you shoot anything at 25yrds with a shotgun odds are its gonna die:rolleyes:

#24 ·
Interesting thread. Shotguns are not very popular here for deer so the experiment was good. Just don't use them for hogs unless you have slugs or you are literally on top of them, maybe a follow up. We have pulled buckshot out of many of them. Pellets never got through the hide. But for small hill country deer at my ranch it will do the trick.

#25 ·
Yikes wouldnt want a mad hog with a butt full of buckshot chasing after me:no:

#27 ·
"walking bullet traps" I like that.always wanted to go hog hunting only place to do it round here is a high fence operation ,which i wont do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.