Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Duck Hunting Fever!!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Scrub Buck

To me, I would rather goose hunt than deer hunt but then again, I am trying to even it out now.

Do you have a dog? If not, you will need a boat. "CANOES are dangerous!!!!" Too many times people drown using them and duck hunting due to hypothermia and so forth. There are too many deals on flat bottom boats out there. Look around. You will need a good motor and possibly a trolling motor depending on where you are trying to hunt.

Decoys: Go to roger sprting goods and look for the deals. It is where alot of the waterfowlers get there gear. Dakota, GHG, Final Approach, and Big Foot all make really nice decoys.

Calls: They range from about $10-$160 or so. Go to a Cabelas or local shop that has a display and will let you try them out. Get what fits you.

Duck Calls: RNT makes good calls, Echo, and there are others
Goose Calls: Foiles, Tim Grounds, Death Row Calls, etc.
Once again, get what fits you

Semi-Auto is really nice as you can really sling the steel at em faster.....

Waders: Don't skimp here.... Cabelas has some good waders and stand by there stuff. I have two different pair. One for early season and one for late season. The late season pair I have, have armorflex which gives it an extra layer of protection. Drake makes a pair that is getting a lot of hype right now. Lacrosse are good too.

You will also have to think about weights and rigging, blind bag to carry your stuff, decoy bags, waterproof gloves as well as a good warm pair for in the blind. If you are hunting fields, you will need a way to get your decoys to the field as some will not let you drive in and can be a long walk. Sleds and game carts work nice for this. I have learned to paint just about anything camo since starting and if I don't have spray paint on my fingers at some point during the winter, something isn't right.

One of the sights that I go to are goosehuntingchat.com or duckhuntingchat.com and also chasinthelimit.org which are all good sites like this one and just ask whatever is on your mind and they will get back to you. You might even find some guys in your area that you didn't know hunting for ducks and geese.

Good luck to you..
Mac

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 01-02-2010 at 07:01 AM.