Deer Hunting Forums banner

Bow hunt for hogs

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Orlin 
#1 ·
There are 2 of us that want to go on a hog hunt. We are from Wisconsin and we are looking at Tennesee as I have some family there. Is there anybody on here that can offer us some good advice.
Thanks

#4 ·
bow hunt them often down here in Florida. i would suggest looking on the internet for a pic of their vitals. little different from a deer. their heart is very low in the chest. good tracking skills will come in handy after the shot. my last bow kill, double lung shot , walked off like he wasn't even hit, had to blood trail him about 3/4 of a mile. very tough critters.

#6 ·
I've seen a hog hunt on the outdoor channel and the arrow went into the hog and the darn thing ran around in a big circle and then continued to feed again for awhile before staggering about. I've also seen hogs go down like a ton of bricks immediately. I don't know anything about hogs but like ronn said "y'all" will come in handy and tomatoes are called "maters."

#7 ·
To get an idea of what this sport is like, read the following short story about a recent hunt. Was it all true? Can't say, but it was a published newspaper article...

On a ranch in Texas that shall remain nameless, we embarked on a bow hunt for "wild hog". Little did we know that this particular ranch had all varieties -- Russian Boar, Javelina and plain old wild hogs. And little did we know just how dangerous two of those breeds were. Stalking was the style and rugged brush was the territory. So now, not only did we have some mean strong hogs to worry about, but we also had rattlesnake concerns!
To shorten the story, let me just say we stalked for many hours killed NO hogs, but got scared out of our boots more than once. When you do find hogs, they are generally in groups, and getting close and spooking them can be scary -- they get loud, aggressive and swarm like little freight trains. And, if one gets cornered (like one did) they don't run -- they turn and prepare for battle. Not a situation one wants when carrying a bow!
I said we had no kills. We did target and hit several, but these beasts do not go down quickly or easily and we never did find them. Our guide said they likely lived to be hunted another day and that was a common occurrence.
Feral Pig

Javelina

#8 ·
bow hunt them all you want. they are fun. give them some respect but, don't fear them. they can hurt you, but it is rare. I used to guide hog hunts here, for a couple years. all my hunts where spot and stalk, on the ground with the hogs. i've probably been charged , really charged, about 5 times. other times it has been when you shoot one in a group and the others scatter. and one will usually head your way, it isn't charging, just doesn't know where to run to. if it was to spot you, 99.8% of the time it will make a hard 90 degree turn and get the heck out of there.

#9 ·
We will be heading to Louisiana for 2 weeks next January for fishing ,deer hunting and some hog hunting. A good freind of mine has family there and they are all hunters and fisherman. We will be just across the state line from Arkansas. How is the deer hunting ther at that time of year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.