Deer Hunting Forums banner

bedding area

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rockman57 
#1 ·
first time on this site. Just looking for some info or suggestions on hunting a bedding area. Ill try to describe it fairly quick. It is a area that is really small, right behind the owners house and bordered by a gun club on one side. the north side is corn and the west side is a hay field. To the south is a river, and a small woodlot next to a house. We always push this piece since it is small, maybe 2 acres at best guessing. We always kick deer out of it, and have taken, and seen some big boys in here. I am thinking of putting a ground blind in there and trying that. I also would like to hunt out of a stand just to be able to see better. The main area is grass and pine trees with a few bigger trees. The pines are not very big, but to see anything you need to get down on the ground and look for legs running. Right on the south side is a road, and the river and woodlot I described earlier is about 300 yards away or so. I know this is a great area, just not sure of how to hunt it for sure. I cant really get into the heart of it without spooking every deer in it. Any real suggestions will be helpful. Thanks

#2 ·
find the trails going in and out of this area and hunt the trails.if you go into the bedding area the deer will stop using it

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. The whole piece of property is only maybe 100yards or so wide by 100 yards. I know of a good trail coming across the gravel road and going in to this area. How far off the gravel road should I be? Should i look for a area where a couple of trails meet or cross? What about a decoy or rattling and grunting? My biggeset fear is that I am going to get into this area too far and blow it. I think if I can be about 1/2 way into it and try grunting or rattling I might be able to bring him out for me. Again any real suggestions will help. Thanks.

#5 ·
With landowner permission and plenty of cover scent put up a 20ft treestand at night when the deer are out feeding. Use a headlamp and be safe. Place it outside of the core bedding area about 80-100 yards. Too close in and all the deer will vacate quickly. Wait 2 weeks before you use it. If no suitable trees are available then I would set up across the gravel road. The area appears to be too tight for a ground blind.

#6 ·
rozman the whole area is 100x100 where exactly are you gonna put the stand?:thumbdown:

#7 ·
According to my calculations that would place the stand right at the gravel road...perhaps use the telephone pole? (ha,ha)

bullmn - Sorry for the misleading advise. Joel the signman has provided the best advise. You creep into there bedroom and they will bed elsewhere.

#8 ·
:wallbash:

#9 ·
The Three Bears Story comes to mind.Creep in there and go to sleep in their bed and when poppa bear shows up it's on man.hehehe j/k
If your going to be outside the bedding area on a place this small I'd definately try to get off the ground.Maybe a ladder or platform stand on the treeline watching the road crossing?That would remove the advantage of their sense of smell in such a small area.The higher the better and my bet is they won't be looking at ya either.They will probably be coming out late evening and going in early morn.You will just have to hope the big ones aren't completely nocturnal.Then again this advice is coming from a guy who just spent three hunts in the same spot sitting on the ground with his bow and not seeing the first deer.lol I'm blaming it on the moon being full all night.So much for my very first bowhunt.
Good luck and happy hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.