Deer Hunting Forums banner

went in to scout a little.

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Body Bag 
G
#1 ·
went in to change the cards in the cameras and poke around a little. found some good trails i'm only off by a few, 70 yards?, yards with stands probably less. reset a couple cameras and picked a tree for a little move. didn't see anything to say a bigun is running around but thats ok.

G
#3 ·
good luck hm. it was a good quick trip through the area. got a little somthing out of it. plus need to keep an eye on things. my buddy had a camera stolen not far from where i am. they left the cable for him though that was nice of them.

#4 ·
hang a note at the cam that reads, "If you're trying to take this Trail cam, I guarantee my other trail cam is catching you do it."
That should get em' thinking

#5 ·
or this camera sends images to a computer so smile for the camera

#6 ·
I have a question... When would be a good time to try and get in the woods to scout some more during the season? My issue comes with the fact that the deer are bedding down close to my stand and where they have been feeding. (literally I mean within 15-30 yards). I dont want to go out scouting and blow out my area. I did that right at the beginning of the season but got lucky they moved back in within a week. Hunting very close quarters with the deer on an extremely small plot of woods... I have two scrapes right behind my stand (one about two weeks old, the other wto days old), however the deer are feeding in front of me. The scrapes are made a couple hours after dark... (I am though seeing the deer during daylight, the main buck just is young (guessing 2ish... tall 8 point though)

G
#7 ·
in big woods, nh being the second most forested state in the country, things can and do change week to week as the feeding areas change. this leads to having to scout it out to see what is happening now and where the next likely feeding area could be. this also means bedding areas change. so a quick scouting trip to see where they are frequenting now is in order. i don't think in smaller blocks this is the same. if you got sign that fresh i think you're in the right spot. the fact that its a younger buck may mean that this his area and an older one is elsewhere.
to answer the question more direct. with the season in full swing i think the early morn and last light see the movement so mid day would be my choice but of course things may dictate the time you can get in to do it. work and such.

#8 ·
It sounds to me like you have things pretty well figured out now. You have a buck in his core area and does right around your stand. I think I'd hunt your stand using some good estrus scent and try to get the buck in close. For a new area I like early spring to scout before leaves come out. I can see the lay of the land, last years rubs, and common trails. Knowing the area's food scouces as they come availible is a must for deer hunting as the deer will change their routes to meet their nutritional needs. To really scout I'd wait till after season to take a good look. Right now I'd hunt.

#9 ·
when hunting this area early season I saw a big 13 pt. Unfortunately he has since been shot by someone spotlighting (deer was shot about 730 pm and it is completely dark by 530pm...) I feel that this small 8 is now the dominant buck in the area. (Small as in 8 inches wide, and main beams are only 12in. G2's and 3's arent but maybe 4 inches and brow tines 5 and 6 inches. Everything just goes straight up) I really just wanted him to grow up some. There are some older does in the area and this buck isnt threatened with my presence. He saw me move in the stand one day and ment back to eating. There is literally no pressure in the woods except for me. (I only hunt the stand on good wind and only once or twice a week...)

G
#10 ·
can you take a doe or 2 for the freezer? if so i'd let him walk. if not, its meat for the freezer, and deal with the spotlight issue. I've heard of folks planting pines and such along the road to help prevent it.

#11 ·
Its up to you to take the buck or not. Will he be there next year?......... Take a doe and hope your decision was correct?......... Hunting and getting there's a lot of distance between the two words. If you have your buck miminum set then pass on him. Just my thoughts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.