Deer Hunting Forums banner

Blind Calling

12K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  tator 
#1 ·
Recently, this season to be exact, I have been in several discussions regarding when and when not to use a deer call. The more than average concensous is to use the call sparingly and only on deer you can see.

As always, every hunter is a different team and every hunt is a new game so variations of applications apply.

I have used a call several times this season, of those that I can redily recall 2 instances resulted in being totally ignored by deer I had a visual on and 3 instances I can recall, blind calling produced deer and on two of those occasions several deer from the single call sequence.

The woods that I hunt in, I have been told has its abundance of (scaredy cat deer), many bucks would rather tuck their tails and boogy than confront another buck, and I have witnessed that happening. so you need to adjust you calling to the tolerence of the deer.

Here is my take on calling from what I have learned.
Definatly call deer that you can see. but make sure that if you do your location at ground level could conceal a deer. if a deer looks in the direction of the calling and sees no deer when he should be able to, he is going to suspect something. (or use a decoy).
Do call sparingly to start and be prepaired to vary calls and apply other tactics if the calling garners indifference.

Make blind calls, period. You cant know if there is a deer 20 yards away on a trail in thick cover and that all it takes to get him to show himself is a couple of bleats or grunts. what really is the difference in
seeing or not seeing the deer you are calling if they are in both cases only 25 yards away?

the following clips are a calling sequence today with a new call I was messing with. my video authoring software is adiquate at best and thats why I had to make 2 seperate clips. there is 12 minutes between the end of the 1st video and the beginning of the second.

YouTube - BELVIDEREBUCKMASTER's Channel

YouTube - BELVIDEREBUCKMASTER's Channel

See less See more
#2 ·
In the past I havent had much luck in calling, but with that being said... I really started paying attention the last couple of years when in the woods. To sounds I've heard, etc. I used the "can" alot last year with good luck, but havent had much luck this year in a different part of the woods. I have had a family of 4 does and one button buck come in to the can at one point this year. I have really enjoyed using my knight and hale ez grunt tube. (something like that.) I have had a lot of luck with that this year. On multiple times i have blind called and deer have shown up, they dont see anything, leave, I grunt some more and with in minutes they're back again. Also had good luck with the grunt when a deer gets spooked and decides to bolt, just pick it up and do some calling (blow throug hthe tube with hand cupped over the end then slowly open your hand while exhaling) and on at least 5 different times through the year the bucks have come back within seconds. (One specific time had two bucks, {one mature 13}, run then come back within 30 seconds...no exaggeration)

#3 ·
for me its all about my mood if im bored i will blind call mostly with the can type calls .if i see deer i will grunt tube em i have a rattlebag but rarely use it the hunting pressure is high here and i think the deer are hip to agressive calling

G
#5 · (Edited)
Sachiko,You are amaz

Sachiko,You are amazing! I would love ANYTHING you make!!! I have your blog lenikd from mine and I have told friends about you!I hope I win. Your stuff is so beautiful and so amazing!I hope you had fun in Vegas! I missed it so much!

#6 ·
this time of year you'll probably want to avoid doing any calling. a good rule to go by is to call when you hear deer becoming vocal in their natural environment, if you hear them then by all means try calling.
I would start off with the can 3 to 4 good bleats then wait approx 30 minutes, then repeat and I would only use grunts during the rut phases.
Calls don't work well at all for me here in Vermont, so I only use them as learning tools but in areas where they work well for hunters, you would do very well to practice with them and not just during the hunting seasons, the can bleat is interesting to practice with during the off season months.

Good Luck

#7 ·
I like what BB said. I RARELY do any calling this time of year unless I've gone several days without seeing anything. That's another thing, typically I only call when there is no action and I want to see if I can stir anything up. I think the biggest mistake hunters make is they call WAY too much. Those shows you see on TV are time-lapst (sp?) so they really aren't calling every 10 seconds. Do a rattle sequence and then wait and most importantly LISTEN.
Deer are very smart, therefore if you are grunting and NO OTHER buck is grunting, you stick out like a sore thumb. Also, remember that deer have good hearing as well. you don't have to rattle as loud as you can or grunt as loud as you think you need to. Sound travels. Now, if it's windy, a little louder never hurts.

Based on my experience in North-Central Missouri---- My best bet is to find a trail they are using alot and just sit it out. I do also use estrous scents, never anything else. I don't use regular doe pee or buck pee. Many hunters don't realize that the buck pee is sometimes from superior bucks on a farm somewhere far away. Therefore, if your biggest "stud" on your farm is a 130 in 3 1/2 year old, and you are presenting a 6 1/2 year old's piss... you're going to scare the hell out of that deer- most times. It's not worth the risk to me. And with doe pee,,, what really are you after? Does? bucks aren't typically going to come running to regular doe pee smell. They may stop on a path they are walking and sniff around (checking out the girls). Another thing I use is only Code Blue b/c they use estrous scent from ONE doe, not 20 does piss mixed all up.

Remember, if deer weren't smart,, then why do they trick us so often?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.