• Speer

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Sierra

Votes: 0 0.0%

terminal performance

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  WHITETAILFEVER 
#1 ·
Hello,
New here. I have poll for you all to review and would like your input.
Let me know after you select your bullet of chioce.

#3 ·
I have loaded and shot about every brand available at the range. On game, the type, weight, and point should be considered as well as the type of game, of coarse. The Hornady and Speer have expanded and punched as well as anything. I tend to hunt with what I shoot and shoot economically as within reason. I have even be brought down animals fairly well with hard-cast homemades, but they didn't really expand very well compared to soft leads such as a spire point/ flat point and such. I have a few favorites in certain loads/calibers and they are the economical types that go to the woods and I will carry they anyday compared to anything I can buy off the shelf.

#4 ·
They have all worked well for me over the years (about 45 years, to be exact). Recently, I have switched to Barnes TXS (Triple Shock) and TTSX (Tipped Triple Shock). These are solid copper bullets. So far, I have killed two nice bucks with them at 40 and 200 yards. Shot both of them squarely through the heart. One was a broadside behind the front leg - bullet went right through as advertised; the other was a straight-on shot which did not exit, but I didn't recover it. The bullets were 150 grains; the caliber was 300 WSM.

#5 ·
If I had to chose one I would have to go with sierra. the reasoning may not be very solid as I havent reloaded in some years. but when I did, sierra was the only bullet readily available that was heavy enoughfor my intended needs.
My pet caliber was the 5.56/.223 and I was working up a low velocity deer load.

but all in all, they allmake some really nice bullets. I have no problems using any of them.

#6 ·
Bullet Brand

I'm partial to Nosler,their ballistic tips are outstanding,and I'n waiting to try out accubonds.Second place for hunting is Sierra,and Match Kings are my first choice for bench/target. I'm usually using Federal primers when I can get them or afford them,with some sort of Hogdon powder in front of primer;380,varget,4831,870,and the newest favorite- lilgun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.